Print Thread
#106496 08/17/02 01:48 PM
M
Mavis Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
M
I've got 2 computers networked together & have 2 IP addresses with the cable company. One of the computers crashed yesterday. We got it up & running again, and got the 2 networked together again, but can't seem to figure out how to get this one back online.

I'm really sure that its something simple that we're overlooking, but we're getting discouraged. We can't get online or get e-mail from the computer that crashed, but the other one is fine.

HELP

Mavis
Sponsored Post Advertisement
I'm curious, why would you have two IP addresses from the cable company? Do you have 2 cable modems?

We have one cable modem, a Linksys router and as far as the cable company is concerned, we have one IP address. The router takes care of all internal parsing, and lets the computers talk to each other with their internal IP addresses. That's been working really well for us and involves the least amount of hassle.

What is your setup right now?

P. Pureheart
M
Mavis Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
M
Well, the cable company told us we had to have a 2nd IP address for both computers to be online. Initially there was an extra charge per month for having it, but apparently now we can have up to 3 for no estra charge. The price didn't go down, but they rearranged the fees to cover extra IP addresses. Anyway we have the cable modem and the router.

We have since managed to get the other one back online. The problem was in the IP Configuration and once we found out where that was hidden we matched them up.

Mavis
I agree with lisa if you have a router there is no reason to have two Ip addresses from your ISP
.If they told you that they are just basically lying to you and collecting extra money from you.
If you have a router you probably have it configured with two static routes. One two each PC
which you are not taking advantage of the routers capabilites of firewall protection.Anyways if you want two set it up "iF you may" the correct way post back.

curious what type of router is it?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.