CONTAINER GARDENING TIP OF THE DAY

Got a spare planter? A window box? If you are buying or swapping, choose a long and rectangular container with a drip tray. I envisage this would go onto the balcony wall. Sometime go when I had this configuration available to me, I nailed the drip tray into place onto the balcony wall and there was no ways the container was going to fall.

So what should we plan to plant or plant today? I thought I would say some LAVENDER. Oh yes? Well why not? Usually people think of swathes of Lavender gracing the countryside, or side hedges or in big round containers ad ye to al of these, but if you don’t have the space then planting up a window box is a pretty thing to do, it’s possible, it works hard in your container garden, and you can reap what you sow!

Look out too for the different lavender plants that are out there … there are some 27 varieties, different shaped flowers, colour shades, fragrances, blooming times - we are spoilt for choice. Plant up your window box with only lavender, that’s the plan and done so it will serve as a screen and a focal point making its own statement in no uncertain terms. There is a lot too that you can do with the dried flowers … here’s one:

Lavender Lemonade.

Bring 2-21/2 cups of water and 1 cup of sugar to the boil. Take off the heat an add 1 full tablespoon or dried lavender flowers and allow to infuse for about an hour. Strain, remove and discard the lavender then stir in 2-21/2 cups of cold water and 1 cup of fresh lemon juice. Pour into your favourite glass (not a tin mug okay!) and add mini ice-cubes. Enjoy.

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!