Gordon, we were well south of Narvik, which is why we only got the fringes of Ole. And why we stayed in sheltered Molde rather than head into the open sea or on to Svolvaer since the Lofoten Islands were really hammered by the storm.

We're currently avoiding a force 10 or so gale. (It has been a very unfortunate trip!) The captain decided not to sail through it to Kirkenes, as the route is very open. We've come to Alta to wait until we can pick up the schedule. They've sent a busload of people off on an 8-hour trip to Kirkenes in order to make flights tomorrow morning. Sure glad I'm not one of them.

But in Alta it is calm and the temperature isn't much below freezing. Unfortunately, that's because it's cloudy.

Mona Evans
For news, activities, pictures and more, sign up to the Astronomy Newsletter!