Sandy, try using a yellow or white colouring in pencil on dark fabrics, you can buy a yellow fabric pencil. I find these work well with dark colours. I am with Judie on the hand embroidery and defects. I love crazy patchwork and have just started making a crazy patchwork quilt for my granddaughter incorporating silks, cottons and anything else I can find in greens and pinks. It will be all machine work, and I do not worry about mistakes in embroidery, when cotton snaps and there are mistakes because I have moved the fabric when rethreading. I always notice the mistakes, but when you look at is as an overall completed project, it is the effect that you have created that stands out. I never seem to get points fitting correctly, and I used to worry, but now, when the project is quilted, unless they are a major mistake, they become hardly noticeable to everyone except other patchworkers. But then I am not wanting to enter into competitions, but make an article that will be given to a family member or friend to be used and washed and reused.