I do not have any pets right now (for many years now sadly...i am not in a situation where i should have 1 now so im waiting until im settled to adopt) but I have had three birds. My first was a female Gray Cockatiel named Cocotte. Then a femal White Dove named Poupoutte. And the last was a a male Gray Cockatiel named GuiGui. Cocotte I was young for her and did not know nothing about pet shops so I bought he in one, she got sick but we did not know it so when she died (in my moms arms) it was a shock. Poupoutte was let outside (we never found out if it was an accident or not..she did have a ring that we asked to take off but our veterinarian never was able to find where it was she came from) and my mom caught her one day and we all decided to keep her, she got sick from a virus she caught when she was living outside and when she was suffering too much we put her to sleep. GuiGui was given to an old lady and she gave him up to our veterinarian and we adopted him not too long after knowing about him, he got a cancer and when he was suffering too much we put him to sleep. All of them except for GuiGui were very loving animals that loved to be with us and be touched. Doves sing a lot so if you do not want to hear a bird singing all day long they are not for you. Cockatiels are not very loud but when they do vocals they can be loud (with us it was mostly when excited we were back home or when they were scared by something they saw outside). All of our birds were kept in a closed room where they could be safe and not fly away. Cocotte was in our kichen and GuiGui too (he loved her but her not so much) and when she died he went to one of our living room that was for Poupoutte, my mom bought a sheer fabric to separate them so no fights happened. I loved having birds. If you are often at home then they are awesome pets but please do not get one if you are not often at home!