July 26, 2012
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
USBC Communications
(414) 412-6214
lucas.wiseman@bowl.com
On the Web: BOWL.com

WICHITA WOMAN BREAKS NATIONAL THREE-GAME SERIES RECORD

ARLINGTON, Texas - Former Wichita State bowler Katie Verbil narrowly missed becoming the first woman to roll a 900 series Wednesday night at West Acres Bowl in Wichita, Kan.

The Phoenix native threw 33 consecutive strikes to start the Battle of the Sexes league, but a 10 pin ended the run for the left-hander. She finished with games of 300, 300 and 279 for an 879 series.

Pending formal approval, Verbil's series would be the highest in bowling history by a woman, according to United States Bowling Congress records.

"It hasn't really sunk in yet," said Verbil, whose previous best series of 845 came in July 2007. "I can't even put into words how it feels. It's so surreal. It's an amazing feeling to hold a national record like that. It was fun and it was intense. Probably the most fun I've had in a long time."

Verbil, who competed collegiately at Wichita State from 1998 to 2002, headed into the 10th frame of the final game with a chance to shoot just the 22nd perfect series in USBC history. But she left a 10 pin on a solid pocket shot.

"That darn 10 pin," Verbil said. "I'm just glad it wasn't a 7 pin because I probably wouldn't have spared it. I was more nervous throwing my spare ball."

The previous record for high three-game series by a woman was 878, which was set on Dec. 12, 2001 by Karen Rosenburg of Rolla, Mo. Two bowlers have fired 877 series - Jackie Mitskavich of Van Wert, Ohio, on Aug. 10, 1997 and Stephanie Hoover of Goshen, Ind., on March 9, 2007.

United States Bowling Congress
The United States Bowling Congress serves as the national governing body for the sport. USBC is a membership organization that provides standardized rules, regulations and benefits to make bowling fair and fun for everyone.

The interactive home of USBC is BOWL.com. Go to twitter.com/USBC for the fastest USBC headlines.

Clyde "Choc" Higa, Editor
http://bowling.bellaonline.com
USBC Bronze Certified Coach
International Bowling Media Association