Hello Francine & Phyllis!

I agree that the situation in Europe did not help the Romanov's, but I got the impression that King George's attempts at helping his cousin escape were half-hearted and certainly no one could have imagined the horrible execution of the family. The instutution of monarchy was on shaky legs as well -- and after Kaiser Wilhelm who swore that he did all he could to get Nicholas out of Russia -- it was only the British monarchy that survived. (Strangely enough, Wilhelm did permit Lenin to pass through Germany to Russia, though....)

The canonization controversy of the Romanov's raged for many years and still inspires debate.

During his reign, the last Tsar donated much money to the RO church and 250 monastaries and 10000 new churches were built, in Russia and abroad. The beautiful St. Nicholas Cathedral in Nice, France, is but one example of the churches built as well as many here in the US. Nicholas was a sensitive and religious man who often noted that he was born on the day of Job, who suffered greatly.

The debate which spanned almost a decade resulted in a decision to canoninize the Tsar and his family and others on August 20, 2000. (The RO Church outside of Russia did so years prior.) Along with the royals, some 800+ persons were canonized -- priests and lay people who died in prison camps after the new regime took over.

They were considered to be passion bearers, on a lower rank in the heirarchy of sainthood, with the reasoning of those who made the decision being that they accepted suffering and death with humility, with a piety, and not because of their actions. There were also cases of healings reported.

In the end, though, are we only human after all?

I sense that people today are awakening to their possibilities and realizing that they themselves are able to make contact and commune with the Divine, sans the control and omniscient attitude of the clergy. That is a beautiful thing in itself.

MEER VSEM -- PEACE.

Last edited by anna*ahha; 07/16/12 08:21 AM.

Anna - AHHA