Hi folks, I realize the original post was a few years ago but I thought I'd make mention of a point raised earlier. There's a difference between SSI and SSDI. SSDI: Apply for benefits if you: [list] [*]are age 18 or older; [*]have worked and paid Social Security taxes long enough to qualify; and [*]have a medical condition that has prevented you from working or is expected to prevent you from working for at least 12 months or end in death. [/list] SSI on the other hand: [list] [*]The Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program pays benefits to disabled adults and children who have limited income and resources. [*]SSI benefits also are payable to people 65 and older without disabilities who meet the financial limits. [/list] More info here: [url=http://www.ssa.gov/]SSA home page[/url] I operate a disability help "resource site." I'm disabled due to end stage renal disease (kidney failure). I created this site to help other disabled folks search for available benefits due to their disability, low income status, and/or impairment. There is no cost involved to search my site's information so please check it out, you may find something that will help. Join the forum if you would like to ask a question or contact me here. A note also about the disability process. The decision to grant your disability request will differ from region to region across the USA and sometimes from judge to judge. The qualifications for disability is often ruled upon differently. My wife applied for disability due to fibro, chronic pain and arthritis. She was granted SSDI w/o having to go through the appeal process. The one thing which always helps your case is to have a paper trail from your doctor. Have test results, procedures, labs, findings, etc. They will be very interested in those when determining your application. Make sure you visit your doctor regularly. If you are having trouble paying for visits, find a free clinic or apply for financial assistance through the hospital/clinic you visit. My site: [url=http://www.disabilityhelpsite.com]Disability Help Site[/url] Sorry about the html in this post. I can't figure out how to get it to work right.

Last edited by Dave S; 02/02/12 11:18 PM.