I recently saw the re-make of the made for TV 1973 horror movie 'Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark' and I thought it was really, really well done.

I don't usually give re-makes the time of day, but the original is very dated and a made for TV movie - though it should have been cinema released. I thought the acting was superb in the new one, just like in the original. Katie Holmes was a shock for me, as I found I really loved her character and she actually acted her socks off.

My only issue was - it just wasn't as scary as the original starring Kim Darby. The little monsters in that (see picture below) were SO much more scary, the music was more scary, their whispered voices were more scary.

Too much CGI was used in the re-make and it took away from the monsters evil - plus the silliness of them eating teeth, although a good play towards the tooth fairy didn't work for me. Both versions are good, but if you want to be really terrified and menaced by those little creatures - watch the original. Though I must say, the new film is superb as well. The creatures just aren't as terrifying.

I would say to anyone to go and see the new film, as it's different enough if you have seen the original, and is just a well made film - plus the major change is Sally being a little girl instead of a woman - so both films play on different fears. Awesome scary movies which go back to the roots of scary old houses and what lurks in them.

Last edited by Horror_Movies_Editor; 10/12/11 04:34 PM.

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
"Whatever you do, don't - fall - asleep!"