In general I try to stay away from all medications because I've read so many books that describe how the side effects of medications are far worse than the symptoms. For example they talk about how a lot of the cholesterol lowering medication gets into the brain and damages your brain cells. There's all sorts of things doctors don't know yet. Our rates of Alzheimer's is jumping through the roof and in many ways it relates to our uses of medications and pesticides. So I'm doing my best to avoid all of those things as much as I can.

Now that being said, I do feel strongly that eating healthy and being healthy is critical in having a body that can handle life's changes. So you could look at that as a form of "medication" - taking vitamin C, taking vitamin E and so on. You're doing it naturally. So I do accept that. I suppose I think that nature and good food does that job better than scientists can.

So I definitely agree in that sense that eating a lot of processed food for example could damage your health because it includes chemicals your body wouldn't normally ingest in those quantities. So just "eating food" in general isn't the answer, it needs to be (in my plan) fresh, healthy food.

I do definitely find that when I reduce caffeine from all sources that I sleep better and that my body is more even keel in presenting symptoms. When I am serene - regardless of what the world around me is doing - I feel better. So I think part of this is the mantra of knowing what you can't change, accepting that you can't change it, and finding a way to be perfectly content in that situation.

I can't change my neighbor's screaming kids. One could say "I live in a stressful situation" because of it. But stress is within a person's brain. It is only stressful if I choose to let it be stressful. It can be perfectly serene if I make that choice.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum