I went looking to see if the seamstress, or should I say artist?, Mimike, was still posting on eBay. (Office system prevents surfing eBay, but Google search for images yielded a couple hits...). Did find a Camo Ribbin Shirt that sold on powwow.com for $60. It's on cotton camo, where as mine is of a poly-nylon. Have to say that I got a good bargain, although the back design is pretty cool!!!

The canvas was already framed by the instructors when I took the lane stitch class 4 years ago. The standard weight canvas was stapled onto the wood frame of 1"x1"x12". It was then painted over with interior latex housepaint. The instructor has a completly lane-stitched Lakota vest on painted canvas that he wore to the Saturday night circles the last 3 times I've gone down.
I recall the paint adds stiffness & prevents the threads from much shifting. Whereas the needle never goes completly through leather (esp brain-tanned), the chance of the stringing thread to break loose of the material is minimized. I'd recommend canvas, as I'm planning to do more of the Sioux Star pattern on the frame to make possible bags.
Just a engine search for canvas beadwork yielded some c 1910 plateau flat bags & some tabs. Even some plateau yoked dresses at Cowan's Auction house. Chippewa bandolier (c 1895) at Antiques Assoc. Must indicate that the lacking of hides available & the cost savings in using canvas was making an economic mark.

Couple weeks ago, there was a class on making canvas into a rawhide similar material to be painted. Looked good. They were making tobacco bags, but the instructor had made bonnet cases & parfleches.

-B-
"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children."