Hi again Liz
The work place and study pose special challenges for those of us with a hearing problem. I gave up tertiary study twice because of my hearing loss. The 2nd time I had similar issues to you (up front, but can't hear the students or the lecturer when he turned to the white board etc). Finally I completed my BA degree on line. By then I had had my cochlear implant and could hear again, but so many buildings are acoustically difficult even though I have at least 50% normal hearing again and can understand (in controlled situations where they test me)100% of everything. (I am having a 2nd bi-lateral cochlear implant in 15 days time).

I tell everyone I meet first up that I am deaf... Having said that, I know there are people I forget to tell now because my hearing is so close to normal these days. I used to tell every single person I met. I used to say the least important thing about me was my deafness but it had to be the first thing I told anyone. I understand your frustration.

I have little problem at work these days because I can use a phone again and can hear people talking to me. I tune out like all good hearing people do so I don't get disturbed. I do have a bit of trouble with direction of sound with only 1 ear implanted and find it hard to tell if it is my phone ringing or the one on the next desk.

But today I took a call on my mobile in the car. The air conditioner fan was going full bore and the road noise was really loud. I found it hard to hear then but I maanged because I knew who it was.

You do say the right thing to people, explaining how best they shoudl speak to you. Unfortunately you probably do need to tell everyone you meet otherwise they think you are stupid, rude or snob (take your pick)! I used to hate it when at the check out I would have to say I'm deaf. and they'd answer, that's alright. I used to get angry sometimes and say back ' no it's not alright. I hate it...:-)

Keep in touch

Felicity
Deafness