Hi Fran,

I took a quick look at the web page for Voice4u, thanks for the link! I could not find much about the features, etc.

I noticed that there is a Japanese version of the app, so it is available with Japanese characters. I saw 'noodle' listed in the menu items and wondered if this application originated in Japan or was created by people of Japanese ancestry. That was something of a plus for me.

One of the 'charming pre-loaded icons' - for Good afternoon - shows a sun with a face on it that startled me - a wide open mouth with teeth that seems to be aimed at the person figure.

The Voice4u human character is colored in different pastel shades, and in the Good afternoon graphic is shown with lobster claws rather than hands with fingers. Proloquo2Go icons use stick figures and the bodies on the Voice4u characters have a bit of a naked look to them; both sets of figures lack hair on the head and noses on faces but I notice this more in the Voice4u characters.

In Voice4u, 'Quiet' looks more like the figure is pointing to where its nose would be. I may be a little too picky noticing these details, and it does say you can add your own icons, pictures and sounds.

I see the price of the Voice4u is much less than Proloquo2Go - $29.99 rather than $189 - but have not seen either video to compare various features. I am strongly in favor of providing alternate ways for children to communicate so I'm happy to see both apps available.

Hopefully we can find reviews of each in the near future not written by their own sales reps, comparing one to another.

Thanks again for mentioning this app.

Pam W
SE of Seattle

iPhone and iPod Touch Apps - Childhood Disability

Proloquo2go for iPhones and the iPod Touch

Originally Posted By: leefran36
Hi,
My 7-year-old daughter is autistic. She has trouble with expressing her emotions. Proloquo2Go seems to be good to go. But I also heard about Voice4u, and I'm thinking of trying it, too. Is there anyone who bought it already? Was it easy to use?
Proloquo2Go
Voice4u

Thanks!
Fran

Pamela Wilson - Children with Special Needs Editor
Visit the Children with Special Needs Website