My son and I watch The Amazing Race regularly and have enjoyed the Mother/Son team of Margie and Luke progressing through the competition. I know that they edit the show and may have made one episode more dramatic by emphasizing a conflict between Margie and Luke and another team, but I found the episode two weeks ago showed a great lack of awareness about disability etiquette. And the comments about that show written by viewers took things a step or two further.

From Terri Mauro's blog:
Defending The Amazing Race's Margie and Luke
Quote:
On Monday, I asked in a blog post for comments on the latest episode of The Amazing Race, which had drawn some harsh comments for the team of Luke, a young adult who is deaf, and his mother, Margie.

Did anyone else see the episode in question? A gal on another team laughed when Luke was signing, and the host explained at the end that he was satisfied that she was not laughing to insult him for signing. I was mildly annoyed about the incidents until I read comments from other viewers, and now feel really steamed.

I have been told to both 'toughen up' and to 'lighten up' about this type of thing for years. Apparently there's no chance of that happening. Am I the *only* crab apple?

Pam W
SE of Seattle

Signing, Reading and Spelling for Communication

Pamela Wilson - Children with Special Needs Editor
Visit the Children with Special Needs Website