I sometimes like being single -- been a widow since the end of January 2000 -- and sometimes I don't like it -- when I need someone to do something for me I can't do, such as put eye drops in my eyes when I had eye surgery. The best thing about being single is that I can save money and not living paycheck to paycheck -- my husband was in charge of the money, like I learned as a child from my parents -- he wasn't good with money -- I have more money now than at anytime in my life and yes, I live in a low-income elderly place where they charge by income and provide the water and trash services -- but too, I don't have a TV and no car, since it was costing me money to get it started since there was a major problem with it -- I miss it, since I have a walker and can't use the bus service which is available to those who can walk and climb steps. The worse things about being single is there is no one to travel with -- my husband did all of the driving, he carried things for me, since I was crippled and now use a walker -- there is no one to take me places, like out to eat, unless I call a cab -- there is no one around in case I get sick -- I have a daughter who lives three hours away and seldom comes up and my mother lives at the opposite end of the state than we do, which means I seldom ever see her, unless my daughter is willing to take me up and I pay the bills for the trip. Also, there is more income for those who live on Social Security or even Social Security disability if there are two people in the house. I can't see my life changing to being a part of a couple, since no man wants a crippled wife at my age and no way to meet them if they were available either. Donna Werhan donnaw@kans.com