Pieter... You raise some wonderful points. It is all a matter of perspective. We only know the shoes that we stand in. I would have to say that my experience in the US is different than what you observed while visiting New York. I grew up in Chicago where it was probably similar to NY, but I now live in Arizona where Jews are very spread out and hardly united. We have high rates of mixed marriages and though there may be a fairly strong population of Jewish people (though still a minority), there is a very small percentage who are actually associated with synagogues.

It is quite amazing - worldwide - what the Jewish people have contributed to their communities, to the world of medicine, to technological advancement, etc... and - yet - it amazes me that the Jews are still thought to "own the world with their money" and to be conniving and dishonest people.

The challenge G-d has given us is quite perplexing.
Is your thought, Pieter, that Jewish unity is an impossibility? Is that what your ultimate thought is behind your words? Do you feel pessimistic about the situation or optimistic? Or - as I do - somewhere in between?

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site