I've had it both ways several times and have been alone for nearly 4 years now. Believe me, I'd much rather be alone than in a sub-par relationship.

Let me tell you a story:
Last week I had a dream about my sweetie (we had been together for 17 years until he suddenly died) and woke up feeling so lonely and sorry for myself. I began wishing that I had someone in my life again to share laughs and gossip with. That very afternoon a strange car pulled into my driveway, it was a guy I used to date before I met my SO, and who I had blown off as soon as I met him. I hadn't seen this guy in 20 years or so, and time had not improved him. He stayed and stayed and I thought I'd never get rid of him. When he finally left I realized...Be Careful What You Wish For!

I like living alone (with 2 cats for company) I like eating what I want, when I want it. I like cleaning up after myself, or not. I like arranging things without having to get anybody else's OK. I like taking a trip if I want, to wherever I want, and never having to ask if it's all right, or having to stay home if Partner doesn't want to go.
So I have to do a lot for myself, well, what's wrong with that? I've learned a lot about home and car maintenance and that's a good thing. True, sometimes I come up against something that I simply don't have the physical strength to do, and have to beg a friend's help or hire somebody, but that's not too often.
One important thing is to develop a network of friends with whom you share interests by joining organizations that appeal to you and stepping up to help out. That takes care of a lot of the lonliness!

Living alone isn't for everyone, to be sure, but it is very possible to develop a full and happy life as a single. It takes work, but then so does a relationship!