Relating to complaining, my mom is planning a dinner this weekend. She's sent me at least four separate email messages complaining about the other attendees' lack of culinary breadth. One person doesn't like X food. Another person doesn't like Y food. This is a hardship on her, to have to deal with these constraints. It is casting a negative pall over the entire dinner - and it hasn't even begun yet! Surely she can find something tasty to serve that we all like. We're not talking about these people saying "I will not eat any meat - nor any green veggies either!" They have certain foods they don't like, just like we all do. I am really tempted to say "just why does this bother you so much?" but I am letting it slide. She's known these people for 40 or more years so it's not like they suddenly got this way ...

My mom has plenty of other friends with more broad tastes so it's not that she has nobody else to cook for. She has a lot of outlet for her culinary talents. If we just had spaghetti-and-meatballs with these friends, I'm sure they'd be quite happy, and we'd have a lovely evening. They are coming for the company, not the food.

Hmmmm maybe I *will* write my mom and ask her - just to see what she says ... maybe she doesn't realize just how much this is bugging her, that she is writing me repeatedly about it ...

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum