I'm always on the lookout for new things I can use for processing fleece, and wandered into my local pet store yesterday looking for something like a large metal cow comb that did not have those turning teeth and found, tada:
a long-haired cat detangling brush!
This looks like a much smaller version of the traditional wool comb with steel teeth at a right angle and what appears to be a very tough handle so it can be clamped firmly onto your work surface. Its even a really nice bright pink. The front of the teeth are wavy and have been sharpened, but its only a minutes work to dull the blades so it can be used with fleece, and what a difference it makes!
First off I run the fleece through that, then through a blending comb I have made from several afro combs screwed onto a piece of wood (the original instructions for this were on a blog that has now been wiped), and end up with a lovely roving thats far nicer than I was getting just using a dog comb. The short bits then get fluffed up and go through my drum carder a couple of times and make a lovely fluffy batt.
Its an American brand (I threw the wrapper away, grrr!), so you guys should have no trouble finding one locally.
Cheers, Caroline in Australia

Last edited by AussieSpinner; 11/03/07 02:02 AM.

There is no such thing as too much fibre, just not enough storage space.