My oldest daughter was born on Mother's Day in 1981. My youngest daughter graduated highschool on Mother's Day, 2007, and turned 18 last week. I have a son in-between. For 26 years I have basically been a struggling, single mother. It was what I was and it was who I was. Reading your post, Kat, really hit home, making me realize I'm still not quite sure what I want to be when I grow up, but I've somehow managed to get all three kis raised and well on their way to an excellent future. There were rough times, but I wouldn't change a thing. Despite domestic violence having tried to put a black cloud over us, the sun is shining brightly today. I may not have been exactly the "typically normal" parent as defined by this small, close-minded, prejudiced village, but while they gossiped and made themselves feel better, I raised my kids! Today as I face the empty nest, I can relax, because it wasn't my kids involved with the drugs and drinking and death that so many others are still dealing with. It's time to reinvent myself and this time, I have no doubts in my ability to succeed. My only regret....that I didn't realize back then just how quickly the time was going by. My greatest lesson...I can be and do whatever I put my mind to. I don't think I'm gonna have the time to notice any emptiness. Besides, it's not really empty, just spread out. I'm so grateful for every one of the hard times! Happy Mother's Day!