Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
izzy87, BrookeCoop, fanaledrinks112, sophaylavender, titianfire
56991 Registered Users
Forum Stats
56990 Members
417 Forums
112499 Topics
795124 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Rosie 66 723
Beetlemess 704
Karm - SW USA Editor 285
Nancy Roussy 180
Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 175
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 124
Allyson - USACook/HomeCook 122
Linu 114
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 109
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 101
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#618579 - 08/18/10 03:32 AM Do You Feed Your Birds Seed?
Melissa - Birds Offline

Do you feed your bird seed? Do you not feed your birds seed? Share your opinion by answering the poll, and post to discuss.
Do You Feed Your Birds Seed?
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 08/18/10 03:30 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

Edited by Melissa - Birds (08/18/10 03:32 AM)

Add Do You Feed Your Birds Seed? to Twitter Add Do You Feed Your Birds Seed? to Facebook Add Do You Feed Your Birds Seed? to MySpace Add Do You Feed Your Birds Seed? to Del.icio.us Digg Do You Feed Your Birds Seed? Add Do You Feed Your Birds Seed? to Yahoo My Web Add Do You Feed Your Birds Seed? to Google Bookmarks Add Do You Feed Your Birds Seed? to Stumbleupon Add Do You Feed Your Birds Seed? to Reddit
#618580 - 08/18/10 03:37 AM Re: Do You Feed Your Birds Seed? [Re: Melissa - Birds]
Melissa - Birds Offline

My lovebird Sweetheart gets mostly fresh foods, with some pellets, and a little bit of fresh, human-grade seed. However, if the seed gets over 15% of her diet, she starts to gain weight. The seed I feed is mostly used in her foraging toys and as training rewards.

She gets Dr. Harvey's Colossal Cockatiel Mix, and some Dr Harvey's Our Best Parakeet Food. We use organic, human-grade hulled and chopped sunflower seeds as training rewards.

Add Re: Do You Feed Your Birds Seed? to Twitter Add Re: Do You Feed Your Birds Seed? to Facebook Add Re: Do You Feed Your Birds Seed? to MySpace Add Re: Do You Feed Your Birds Seed? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Do You Feed Your Birds Seed? Add Re: Do You Feed Your Birds Seed? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Do You Feed Your Birds Seed? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Do You Feed Your Birds Seed? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Do You Feed Your Birds Seed? to Reddit
#631780 - 09/23/10 09:01 PM Re: Do You Feed Your Birds Seed? [Re: Melissa - Birds]
Cheryll - Bahá'í Life Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Loc: California, USA
I have several rescued budgies, and make my own seed mix for them, mainly proso millet, canary seed, red millet, oat groats, with a selection of other brassica and lettuce seeds added. In addition, since I live on an organic truck farm, they have a lot of greens, plus fresh willow and sugar maple branches to chew the bark from, and about 6 different kinds of grass seed heads. In winter they get parsley, carrot tops, bell pepper, and birdie bread that I make for them which has dehydrated vegges ground up and mixed with egg in the shell. Oh, and they LOVE soaked wheat berries as a treat!

Add Re: Do You Feed Your Birds Seed? to Twitter Add Re: Do You Feed Your Birds Seed? to Facebook Add Re: Do You Feed Your Birds Seed? to MySpace Add Re: Do You Feed Your Birds Seed? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Do You Feed Your Birds Seed? Add Re: Do You Feed Your Birds Seed? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Do You Feed Your Birds Seed? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Do You Feed Your Birds Seed? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Do You Feed Your Birds Seed? to Reddit
#652837 - 12/31/10 03:37 PM Re: Do You Feed Your Birds Seed? [Re: Cheryll - Bahá'í Life]
Linda19 Offline
Chipmunk

Loc: England
I have a Rock Dove (posh name for a feral pigeon) who eats anything and two Rosa Bourke parakeets who love millet and sunflower seeds. I also feed them spinach, apples and sprouted seeds.

#652847 - 12/31/10 04:32 PM Re: Do You Feed Your Birds Seed? [Re: Linda19]
Lori - Marriage Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Loc: Orange, CA USA
I no longer have caged birds as pets but I love birds so I usually keep a baggie of mixed seeds in my purse to feed wild birds that I happen to meet.

A weird story: My daughter and I went to Disneyland and sat in a quiet place where we sat some sparrows looking for food. I got excited and pulled out my baggie of seed and sprinkled some their way. They hopped on over, looked at the seed and hopped away. My daughter thought it was hilarious and ironic because I kept forgetting to bring my seed when we went and the day I finally remember to bring it, they rejected it.

Why? These tubby birds preferred to eat buttered popcorn and french fries that the tourists left behind! sigh.

BellaOnline.com Marriage
Twitter: @BellaMarriage

Dreams editor
Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

#656616 - 01/17/11 09:38 AM Re: Do You Feed Your Birds Seed? [Re: Melissa - Birds]
Lone eagle Offline

Loc: South Africa
I have a lot of birds, Conure's, Ringneck's Plumhead's, Rainbow Lorikeet's, Cockatiel's and Budgie's. I breed and hand-rear the chicks which I sell to private individuals. The one thing I tell the new owners is. If you want your pet to live a long and healthy life, you must feed a well balanced diet. I feed a small amount of a variety of seed, which has pellets, dried fruit also added. My birds also get daily a selection of fresh fruit and vegetables, depending on the season. My Lorikeets also have fresh nectar mix daily.

#658814 - 01/27/11 08:08 PM Re: Do You Feed Your Birds Seed? [Re: Lone eagle]
Linda19 Offline
Chipmunk

Loc: England
LOL Lori ungrateful fat birds, that made me laugh

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Daily World Peace Group Meditation
by Susan - Meditation Editor
Meditation
11 minutes 20 seconds ago
What is your stress level today?
by Nancy Roussy
Stress Management
13 minutes 5 seconds ago
Shopping at Walmart Game
by Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk
Home Finance
46 minutes 12 seconds ago
Shaving for us women ?
Body Care
51 minutes 36 seconds ago
Who You Are and Who You Ain't
Creativity
54 minutes 38 seconds ago
One of those days
Creativity
58 minutes 26 seconds ago
Character Naming
Fiction Writing
Today at 12:28 PM
Post Here to FIND or BE a beta reader of fiction!
Fiction Writing
Today at 12:15 PM
Where are you and how is the weather?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
Today at 11:24 AM
What will you do today?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
Today at 11:23 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
4 registered (Nancy Roussy, Susan - Meditation Editor, izzy87, BrookeCoop), 87 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.