Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
KeithB18, Bella Marie, Glady, rani singh, Alycia cullern
57339 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57340 Members
417 Forums
113325 Topics
804650 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 870
Beetlemess 454
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 323
Jana - Creativity Editor 319
Dorcy 64
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 60
Sandra Investing/HFinance 60
Mona - Astronomy 46
Susan - Meditation Editor 46
Dianne W - Editor 40
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#482286 - 01/06/09 05:05 AM Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essential?
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
This is a companion post to my current article on rebirth at http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art46824.asp. Please answer the poll and post your own thoughts or questions on rebirth. If you are Buddhist, do you consider belief in rebirth essential to your path or irrelevant? If you are not Buddhist, how do you view rebirth and/or reincarnation?

If you are interested in another (slightly heady) debate about whether or not believing in rebirth is essential to being a Buddhist, check out this article in Tricycle magazine, http://www.tricycle.com/feature/3857-1.html.

Looking forward to your responses!
Do you believe in rebirth?
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 01/06/09 04:54 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

Edited by Lisa - Buddhism (01/06/09 07:29 PM)
Blog: Mommy Mystic

Add Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essential? to Twitter Add Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essential? to Facebook Add Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essential? to MySpace Add Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essential? to Del.icio.us Digg Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essential? Add Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essential? to Yahoo My Web Add Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essential? to Google Bookmarks Add Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essential? to Stumbleupon Add Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essential? to Reddit
#482545 - 01/06/09 09:32 PM Re: Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essenti [Re: Lisa - Buddhism]
tpp Offline

I was raised Catholic, so, of course, re-birth was not an option. But now that I have been fortunate enough to be involved with someone who has helped me expand my awareness and expand my consciousness to be able to consider alternative viewpoints, I am much more comfortable with the concept that rebirth is not only possible, but both likely AND desirable. I think it is fascinating to wonder about life before and life after this one and to ponder the infinite evolution of the soul.

Add Re: Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essenti to Twitter Add Re: Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essenti to Facebook Add Re: Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essenti to MySpace Add Re: Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essenti to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essenti Add Re: Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essenti to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essenti to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essenti to Stumbleupon Add Re: Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essenti to Reddit
#483509 - 01/09/09 02:36 PM Re: Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essenti [Re: tpp]
Jeanette - Editor Offline
Chipmunk

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio
Rebirth and reincarnation just make sense. It took me years to accept that after much study and reading.

Add Re: Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essenti to Twitter Add Re: Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essenti to Facebook Add Re: Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essenti to MySpace Add Re: Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essenti to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essenti Add Re: Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essenti to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essenti to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essenti to Stumbleupon Add Re: Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essenti to Reddit
#483522 - 01/09/09 02:56 PM Re: Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essenti [Re: Jeanette - Editor]
ChelleT&L Offline
Chimpanzee

Loc: Lake Lanier, Georgia
I have greatly enjoyed learning about Buddhism from everyone on this site, and I fully believe that there are a lot of Buddhist practices that can be incorporate into the Christian lifestyle, and actually make it better.

This, however is not one of those beliefs.

I love the idea of previous lives, I think it is very romantic and soothing - especially for people who have done great wrongs and truly want to make up for them.

But I believe that God gives us each an individual soul. That soul He makes for each person with love and great detail, much like an artist who puts love into every brushstroke of a painting - except multiply that exponentially.

I still greatly admire those of you that I have "met" on here who are Buddhists, and I never want any of you to think otherwise. I just can't agree with you on this point.

#483567 - 01/09/09 06:34 PM Re: Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essenti [Re: ChelleT&L]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Jeanette/Michelle - thanks so much for coming by the forum and responding. Michelle, many people that I know, including my husband and even some friends that consider themselves Buddhist, do not believe in rebirth or reincarnation, so you don't need to worry about that bothering me! I just always appreciate people sharing their beliefs, and being willing to talk about them.

I have come to believe in it, but I don't consider it intrinsic to being a Buddhist or adopting many of the practices and approaches Buddhism has to offer, which as you say, anyone of any religion can really benefit from.

#484088 - 01/12/09 12:01 AM Re: Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essenti [Re: ChelleT&L]
Alexandra Offline
Zebra

Loc: Verulamium, England
Well, Christianity did actually advocate a process of reincarnation.
But this was supressed early on, because Church and stare wished to ccombine power, control the masses and knew they couldn't do it without fire and brimstone.

Christians were always taught about a riencarnated soul. But it meant loss of control for the church. so they made it a bad thing.....

#484089 - 01/12/09 12:02 AM Re: Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essenti [Re: Alexandra]
Alexandra Offline
Zebra

Loc: Verulamium, England
I believe it.
It should be no more astonishing and unbelievable to be beorn twice, than it was to be born once.

Why not?

#484156 - 01/12/09 05:15 AM Re: Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essenti [Re: Alexandra]
Lisa - Buddhism Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

I was just reading a book on the Gnostic Gospels that talked alot about the early removal of reincarnation from Christian gospels too...also about references to it in both Judaic Kabbalah texts and Islamic Sufi ones, so really it seems all the major religions have supported the idea of it at some point or other...

#484234 - 01/12/09 03:11 PM Re: Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essenti [Re: Lisa - Buddhism]
ChelleT&L Offline
Chimpanzee

Loc: Lake Lanier, Georgia
For me, I never thought about it so much as you only get one chance to do things right, but it is more about each soul being unique.

I guess I always looked at reincarnation as "reusing" a soul.

#484245 - 01/12/09 04:34 PM Re: Poll: Do you believe in rebirth? Is it essenti [Re: ChelleT&L]
Vance Today in History Ed Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf

Loc: Gloversville, New York
If I may, I don't believe in reincarnation as it stands from a Buddhist belief but as a Christian I believe in being "born again".

When you are born again, you are being reincarnated, so to speak, from the old, sinful flesh and put on a new flesh in Jesus Christ.

So, I believe in it from that standpoint.

Edited by Vance Wrestling and Crime (01/12/09 04:34 PM)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Lisa - Buddhism 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Daily World Peace Group Meditation
by Susan - Meditation Editor
Meditation
3 seconds ago
Replace one word (Music Titles)
by Beetlemess
Comedy Movies
Today at 12:52 PM
Shopping at Costco Game
by Beetlemess
Sandwiches
Today at 12:48 PM
First Letter-Last Letter
by Beetlemess
Attention Deficit Disorder
Today at 12:43 PM
Music ABC game
by Beetlemess
Pop Music
Today at 12:42 PM
Word From Last Letter Game
by Beetlemess
Contests & Sweepstakes
Today at 12:07 PM
Shopping at Walmart Game
by Beetlemess
Home Finance
Today at 12:06 PM
Cosmic Halloween Tour . . . If you dare
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Today at 07:48 AM
Ogden garden verse game
by xmeecosmic
Container Gardening
Today at 07:25 AM
Star-gazing – Seeing in Dim Light *new*
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Today at 06:05 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
1 registered (Susan - Meditation Editor), 75 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.