Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#460261 10/17/08 02:46 PM
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
Hi Vance.

I know this is old stuff - but, Jesse James was a distant cousin of my maternal grandmother. I have read a lot about him but find so many discrepancies on his life and deeds.

Can you shed any light on this for me? The reason I am curious is that my grandson now knows about "cousin Jesse" and is not sure what to believe. In one sense, like I felt when I was a child, he is proud of the relation and in another he is rather shocked. I remember, as a kid, my siblings and I all fought to see who would be Jesse in our games of pretend.

Last edited by Phyllis, BellaEd; 10/17/08 02:47 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Jesse James has been glamorized. No matter how glamorous they make Jesse James, make no mistake about it, he was a thief and he was a killer.

He was involved in crime long before his mother was hurt and his step brother or cousin or whoeverhe was to Jesse that was killed by the railroad people by accident so dont think for a minute that he turned to crime and against the railroad after that happened, no he was deep in it prior to that.

He even rode with Quantrill's Raiders for a while as well long before the incident at his farmhouse. I am gathering info for an article on Jesse James now.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
OP Offline
Wow! That should be a good article. Thanks, Vance.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Shark
Shark
Wow, Phyllis, it's interesting to know you have that connection with Jesse James. shocked I can see why your sibling and you were fighting over who would be Jesse.

From all the documentary I have watched on history channel on Jesse James, unfortunately, like Vance said, he was no saint although famous. My understanding is that many of his heroic accounts are simply glamourized.

I look forward to Vance's article.

Last edited by Cara-Philosophy; 10/17/08 11:51 PM.
C.C. #460450 10/17/08 11:58 PM
OP Offline
I guess that is true, Cara. Some things, like childhood heroes, fade away with time. My grandson is going thru the same feeling we went thru as kids and someday, he too, will realize that not all ancestors were heroes.

My grandson has a mentor (his teacher of two years) who has an ancestor that was one of the Dalton brothers. So, they discuss this once in awhile and grandson is learning I hope that ol'Jesse was not such a good guy. At least he is not obsessed with it like we were as kids. It was such a big deal back then when it was so glamorized. Grandson is smarter than we were.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Shark
Shark
It is wonderful that your grandson is learning a part of his heritage and has a good mentor at school. Even though our ancestors might not all be heros, it is still important to honor the heritage. I still think it's awesome your family has that connection as Jesse James was an important part of the American history.

C.C. #460471 10/18/08 12:55 AM
OP Offline
Thanks for your kind words, Cara. Heritage and the knowledge of our ancestors is important. The good thing to know is that Jesse's whole family was not bad - he was just a bad seed. My grandson will learn the difference between pride in infamous ancestors and pride in the goodness of ancestors. It is good that he is interested in his heritage.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
T
Shark
Shark
T
Interesting! I'm related to the man who shot Billy the Kid on my mom's dad's side of the family. The Garrett family.

Michelle
toddzgrrl02 #460677 10/18/08 09:05 PM
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Billy the Kid is another interesting character but also very deadly. His death is shrouded in mystery too. Did Pat Garret kill him or he did he die of old age in the 1950's?

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
OP Offline
Billy The Kid is dead? shocked

Last edited by Phyllis, BellaEd; 10/19/08 03:45 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns

Moderated by  Vance - Crime Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.