Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
Junk Removal Vaughan, Mahi, Emily Roxin, Norma Jo Doll, sankari
57144 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57144 Members
417 Forums
112875 Topics
799003 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Rosie 66 730
Beetlemess 544
Nancy Roussy 238
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 126
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 104
Mystic - Romance Movies 99
Dianne W - Editor 73
Tracy - Philosophy 67
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 62
Karm - SW USA Editor 62
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#460261 - 10/17/08 06:46 PM Jesse James
Phyllis Doyle Burns Offline
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Loc: Reno, NV
Hi Vance.

I know this is old stuff - but, Jesse James was a distant cousin of my maternal grandmother. I have read a lot about him but find so many discrepancies on his life and deeds.

Can you shed any light on this for me? The reason I am curious is that my grandson now knows about "cousin Jesse" and is not sure what to believe. In one sense, like I felt when I was a child, he is proud of the relation and in another he is rather shocked. I remember, as a kid, my siblings and I all fought to see who would be Jesse in our games of pretend.

Edited by Phyllis, BellaEd (10/17/08 06:47 PM)

Add Jesse James to Twitter Add Jesse James to Facebook Add Jesse James to MySpace Add Jesse James to Del.icio.us Digg Jesse James Add Jesse James to Yahoo My Web Add Jesse James to Google Bookmarks Add Jesse James to Stumbleupon Add Jesse James to Reddit
#460368 - 10/17/08 11:55 PM Re: Jesse James [Re: Phyllis Doyle Burns]
Vance Today in History Ed Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf

Loc: Gloversville, New York
Jesse James has been glamorized. No matter how glamorous they make Jesse James, make no mistake about it, he was a thief and he was a killer.

He was involved in crime long before his mother was hurt and his step brother or cousin or whoeverhe was to Jesse that was killed by the railroad people by accident so dont think for a minute that he turned to crime and against the railroad after that happened, no he was deep in it prior to that.

He even rode with Quantrill's Raiders for a while as well long before the incident at his farmhouse. I am gathering info for an article on Jesse James now.

Add Re: Jesse James to Twitter Add Re: Jesse James to Facebook Add Re: Jesse James to MySpace Add Re: Jesse James to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Jesse James Add Re: Jesse James to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Jesse James to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Jesse James to Stumbleupon Add Re: Jesse James to Reddit
#460441 - 10/18/08 03:35 AM Re: Jesse James [Re: Vance Today in History Ed]

Wow! That should be a good article. Thanks, Vance.

Add Re: Jesse James to Twitter Add Re: Jesse James to Facebook Add Re: Jesse James to MySpace Add Re: Jesse James to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Jesse James Add Re: Jesse James to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Jesse James to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Jesse James to Stumbleupon Add Re: Jesse James to Reddit
#460447 - 10/18/08 03:50 AM Re: Jesse James [Re: Phyllis Doyle Burns]
C.C. Offline
Shark

Wow, Phyllis, it's interesting to know you have that connection with Jesse James. shocked I can see why your sibling and you were fighting over who would be Jesse.

From all the documentary I have watched on history channel on Jesse James, unfortunately, like Vance said, he was no saint although famous. My understanding is that many of his heroic accounts are simply glamourized.

I look forward to Vance's article.

Edited by Cara-Philosophy (10/18/08 03:51 AM)

#460450 - 10/18/08 03:58 AM Re: Jesse James [Re: C.C.]

I guess that is true, Cara. Some things, like childhood heroes, fade away with time. My grandson is going thru the same feeling we went thru as kids and someday, he too, will realize that not all ancestors were heroes.

My grandson has a mentor (his teacher of two years) who has an ancestor that was one of the Dalton brothers. So, they discuss this once in awhile and grandson is learning I hope that ol'Jesse was not such a good guy. At least he is not obsessed with it like we were as kids. It was such a big deal back then when it was so glamorized. Grandson is smarter than we were.

#460454 - 10/18/08 04:09 AM Re: Jesse James [Re: Phyllis Doyle Burns]
C.C. Offline
Shark

It is wonderful that your grandson is learning a part of his heritage and has a good mentor at school. Even though our ancestors might not all be heros, it is still important to honor the heritage. I still think it's awesome your family has that connection as Jesse James was an important part of the American history.

#460471 - 10/18/08 04:55 AM Re: Jesse James [Re: C.C.]

Thanks for your kind words, Cara. Heritage and the knowledge of our ancestors is important. The good thing to know is that Jesse's whole family was not bad - he was just a bad seed. My grandson will learn the difference between pride in infamous ancestors and pride in the goodness of ancestors. It is good that he is interested in his heritage.

#460512 - 10/18/08 01:50 PM Re: Jesse James [Re: Phyllis Doyle Burns]
toddzgrrl02 Offline
Shark

Loc: Illinois
Interesting! I'm related to the man who shot Billy the Kid on my mom's dad's side of the family. The Garrett family.

#460677 - 10/19/08 01:05 AM Re: Jesse James [Re: toddzgrrl02]
Vance Today in History Ed Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf

Loc: Gloversville, New York
Billy the Kid is another interesting character but also very deadly. His death is shrouded in mystery too. Did Pat Garret kill him or he did he die of old age in the 1950's?

#460901 - 10/19/08 07:45 PM Re: Jesse James [Re: Vance Today in History Ed]

Billy The Kid is dead? shocked

Edited by Phyllis, BellaEd (10/19/08 07:45 PM)

Moderator:  DonnaCrimeEditor 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Ideas for Creating Sandwiches with Salad Fillings
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Sandwiches
1 minute 23 seconds ago
Praying in good company
by Lynne - ChristianLiving
Christian Living
Today at 09:10 AM
NEW - Hot & Spicy Crab Dip!
by Sadhana ~ Indian Food
Indian Food
Today at 08:55 AM
Samsung Galaxy beats the iPhone
by Dianne W - Editor
Wireless & Cellular
Today at 08:35 AM
Do you have a home phone
by Dianne W - Editor
Wireless & Cellular
Today at 08:31 AM
Prepaid or Plan
by Dianne W - Editor
Wireless & Cellular
Today at 08:26 AM
Electronic Recruitment
by Dianne W - Editor
Job Search
Today at 08:19 AM
Favorite Romance Movies
by Dianne W - Editor
Romance Movies
Today at 07:48 AM
McMillan and Wife
by Edie - MysteryBooksEd
Mystery Movies
Today at 06:56 AM
Farewell James Garner
by Edie - MysteryBooksEd
Mystery Movies
Today at 06:51 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
1 registered (Connie - ADD/Sandwiches), 51 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.