Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
nicole vernon, ThomasCat, lovelace21, mac13155, Yana Yap
57616 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57,616 Registered Members
417 Forums
114,572 Topics
813,497 Posts

Most users ever online: 615 @ 04/22/15 10:11 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 420
Nancy Roussy 331
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 182
Jana - Creativity Editor 105
Mona - Astronomy 102
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 70
daisybun 57
Susan - Meditation Editor 41
Angie 26
Terri - Exercise/Yoga Editor 23
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#456991 - 10/04/08 06:05 PM Do you try to eat locally for simplicity?
Aimee -- Natural Living Offline
BellaOnline Editor

Loc: Upstate NY
Many Americans are turning into locavores -- eating only food that is grown 100 miles from their houses. Have any of you tried this? Where do you live, what do you eat, what tips do you have?

Aimee

#456992 - 10/04/08 06:10 PM Re: Do you try to eat locally for simplicity? [Re: Aimee -- Natural Living]
leahmullen Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

I live in Brooklyn and shop at the nearby grocery and health food stores. To be honest can't tell you where any of the food comes from--unless the package says "California grown" whatever.

But very intersting idea.

#459120 - 10/13/08 07:01 PM Re: Do you try to eat locally for simplicity? [Re: leahmullen]
BellaOnline Editor

Next time you are shopping, check to see where your food is grown or shipped from. I'm sure you will be amazed!

#478944 - 12/26/08 11:30 AM Re: Do you try to eat locally for simplicity? [Re: Aimee -- Natural Living]
Joan541 Offline
Gecko

Loc: Texas
I belong to an organic food coop which delivers a big bin of locally grown fruits and veggies twice a month. They aren't all from within 100 miles but they do all come from our state.

I like eating this way for health but also it helps our local farmers, as opposed to buying produce grown in other countries, where we can't be sure of their growing practices.

#479006 - 12/26/08 04:06 PM Re: Do you try to eat locally for simplicity? [Re: Joan541]
Claybird Offline
Parakeet

Loc: Indiana
I am lucky enough to live in a fairly small city that has several outlets for locally grown food; a farmer's market on one side of town and a farm store on the other. I enjoy eating locally grown foods in season, somehow having to wait until June for strawberries makes them all the more delicious when they finally come! Right now the last of the various squashes are featured at my table, and the Michigan apples are plentiful. When the fresh things finally disappear I can turn to the sweet corn, beans, snap peas and roasted tomatoes that I froze last summer.

#481428 - 01/03/09 12:18 PM Re: Do you try to eat locally for simplicity? [Re: Claybird]
joanj Offline
Koala

Loc: Texas
Aimee, you're right that it's a good idea to check labels to see where food comes from these days! You have a hard time finding grapes, for instance, that are grown in the US.

I check my fish too to see where it came from. Farmed fish is produced in polluted water and the fish are more likely to have viruses, etc-yuk. Plus it adds to the pollution of our oceans. I don't buy anything but wild caught anymore or anything from outside the US.

#481431 - 01/03/09 12:31 PM Re: Do you try to eat locally for simplicity? [Re: joanj]
daisybun Offline
Parakeet

Loc: Holdenville, OK. USA
I like to shop at Walmart -- they have little sign next to each kind of produce that says where it's from.

#500749 - 03/07/09 03:47 PM Re: Do you try to eat locally for simplicity? [Re: daisybun]
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

I'm very lucky to live in a fairly rural area and we have actual farms around us. I like going to their little stores to help support them. The food is cheaper because there's no middle man, and the environmental impact is low because the food doesn't have to be shipped thousands of miles to me.

It's hard right now because it's snowy - I am very eagerly looking forward to another month or two when the spring crops start becoming available! I have the seeds ready to plant tomatoes and a few other things. I always start them WAY too early because I'm impatient so this year I'm waiting. I should start them soon though!

#501009 - 03/09/09 09:11 AM Re: Do you try to eat locally for simplicity? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
BellaOnline Editor

Lisa,
Some northern places have winter markets -- root veggies and what not. I am in snowy upstate NY and every third Thursday our local market has its winter market.

You may want to look into something similar.
Aimee

#501501 - 03/10/09 07:52 PM Re: Do you try to eat locally for simplicity? [Re: Aimee -- Natural Living]
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

I definitely will! I just finished Animal Vegetable Miracle last night and it was very good. It tells of a family who eat only local food for a solid year. I really want to head in that direction myself. I like international wines so that will have to be an exception for me smile I do drink a lot of local wine though!

The farm stand near us is definitely closed. I'll scout around though!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Tina - Living Simply 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Do you have a spiritual-based morning routine?
by Deanna - New Age Site
New Age
27 minutes 12 seconds ago
Forum Code of Conduct
by Deanna - New Age Site
New Age
33 minutes 48 seconds ago
Daily World Peace Group Meditation
by Susan - Meditation Editor
Meditation
51 minutes 21 seconds ago
Articles of clothing you cannot go wrong with
by Susan - Meditation Editor
Ethnic Beauty
54 minutes 16 seconds ago
Depth of Field and Aperture Priority
by Ewa - Photography
Photography
Yesterday at 11:48 PM
I'm looking for solution with overweight!
by selen
Weight Loss
Yesterday at 08:19 PM
The Expendables 3 (2014)
by Nancy Roussy
Action Movies
Yesterday at 01:55 PM
New Horizons is nearing Pluto
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Yesterday at 11:18 AM
Try a fun quiz
by Nancy Roussy
Ethnic Beauty
Yesterday at 09:57 AM
Answer one or all
by Nancy Roussy
Ethnic Beauty
Yesterday at 09:55 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
1 registered (Izeigo), 61 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2015 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.