Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
happy to make friends, kangtuo, asinmylife, izzy87, fanaledrinks112
56995 Registered Users
Forum Stats
56995 Members
417 Forums
112504 Topics
795207 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Rosie 66 720
Beetlemess 707
Karm - SW USA Editor 283
Nancy Roussy 192
Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 161
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 128
Allyson - USACook/HomeCook 126
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 123
Linu 114
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 101
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#393947 - 03/17/08 04:15 AM How Often do you Buy Veggies?
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

I was reading in my Green Chic book that lettuce loses 50% of its Vitamin C in the first 24 hours!! It was talking about how important it is to buy local food, both for health reasons and also to save on all the gas / exhaust / etc. that comes from shipping food cross country. The average food item eaten in the US is shipped in 1500 miles. That is a TON of gas and wasted carbon!!

When then made me think, how often do you buy veggies? We usually buy them once a week. So our food near the end of the week is always multiple days old (if not more). My great grandmother in her diary talked about walking to the store each day to get something fresh to eat, and getting things from her garden. We don't get fresh food any more most of the time!

How often do you shop for veggies? Do you know where they come from?

I know this is hard to ask in the late winter, most of us don't have farmer's markets open right now ...

Add How Often do you Buy Veggies? to Twitter Add How Often do you Buy Veggies? to Facebook Add How Often do you Buy Veggies? to MySpace Add How Often do you Buy Veggies? to Del.icio.us Digg How Often do you Buy Veggies? Add How Often do you Buy Veggies? to Yahoo My Web Add How Often do you Buy Veggies? to Google Bookmarks Add How Often do you Buy Veggies? to Stumbleupon Add How Often do you Buy Veggies? to Reddit
#394498 - 03/17/08 09:53 PM Re: How Often do you Buy Veggies? [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Lady J Offline
Elephant

Loc: West Central IL (USA)
Most of my produce i buy weekly. in the summer I buy a lot of things that were picked that day or the day before. we have a farmers market that comes 2 times a week (tues and thurs). I love buying all the local produce. Whats nice is a lot of the stores here then buy the surplus that isn't bought at the FM and sell it at the store so it's win win.

I try to grow some of mmy own as well which is hard since I rent and cannot plant a garden like I would like. I am thinkng about asking the land lord if it would be ok if I planted a small garden this year.

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!

Add Re: How Often do you Buy Veggies? to Twitter Add Re: How Often do you Buy Veggies? to Facebook Add Re: How Often do you Buy Veggies? to MySpace Add Re: How Often do you Buy Veggies? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: How Often do you Buy Veggies? Add Re: How Often do you Buy Veggies? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: How Often do you Buy Veggies? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: How Often do you Buy Veggies? to Stumbleupon Add Re: How Often do you Buy Veggies? to Reddit
#394500 - 03/17/08 09:53 PM Re: How Often do you Buy Veggies? [Re: Lady J]
Lady J Offline
Elephant

Another thing to consider is foods like spinach which in their raw state aren't as nutritious as if you cook or blanche them. It takes heat to release the vitamins in some vegies and doing em raw doesn't give you the full enefit.

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!

Add Re: How Often do you Buy Veggies? to Twitter Add Re: How Often do you Buy Veggies? to Facebook Add Re: How Often do you Buy Veggies? to MySpace Add Re: How Often do you Buy Veggies? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: How Often do you Buy Veggies? Add Re: How Often do you Buy Veggies? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: How Often do you Buy Veggies? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: How Often do you Buy Veggies? to Stumbleupon Add Re: How Often do you Buy Veggies? to Reddit
#394501 - 03/17/08 09:54 PM Re: How Often do you Buy Veggies? [Re: Lady J]
Lady J Offline
Elephant

sorry keyboard at work is messing up and so i loose letters every once in a while

#394505 - 03/17/08 09:57 PM Re: How Often do you Buy Veggies? [Re: Lady J]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

Loc: Verde Valley, AZ
My veggies are mostly the shredded stuff in bags, otheriwse i buy things fresh and don't use them...and then toss them on the compost heap. which is sad.

in the summer I do grow things and eat them fresh, so that helps. plus I have fresh herbs and tomatoes year round in my house.

#394507 - 03/17/08 10:00 PM Re: How Often do you Buy Veggies? [Re: Jilly]
Rosie 66 Online   embarrased

I buy veggies every week, and eat them at least twice a day

#394515 - 03/17/08 10:07 PM Re: How Often do you Buy Veggies? [Re: Rosie 66]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

Loc: Verde Valley, AZ
I have also tried canned veggies and think they generally taste terrible.

we do have a freezer full of bags of mixed cut veggies, the kind you steam in the bag/microwave, and that is a reliable way for me to add veggies to my meals. besides the shredded stuff.

If i have to prep veggies, it just won't happen.

Edited by Jilly (03/17/08 10:08 PM)

#394561 - 03/17/08 11:57 PM Re: How Often do you Buy Veggies? [Re: Jilly]
Lady J Offline
Elephant

i do only frozen as well. The only canned I do are frejoles and tomatoes

#394566 - 03/18/08 12:02 AM Re: How Often do you Buy Veggies? [Re: Lady J]
Rosie 66 Online   embarrased

I get the frozen or fresh,

#394607 - 03/18/08 01:51 AM Re: How Often do you Buy Veggies? [Re: Rosie 66]
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames Offline
BellaOnline Editor

I'm not a fan of canned - I do like frozen but fresh best of all. I'm waiting for the farm stands to open up again!!

Jase - don't forget container gardens! You can do those by any sunny window. They even have grow lamps so you can do them where there is no light smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Replace one word... (new game)
by Rosie 66
Comedy Movies
13 minutes 6 seconds ago
Word From Last Letter Game
by Rosie 66
Contests & Sweepstakes
15 minutes 10 seconds ago
Santos Cage Doll SVG Cut File - First Steps
by Digital Art and Animation
Digital Art and Design
37 minutes 15 seconds ago
What is your stress level today?
by Nancy Roussy
Stress Management
Today at 02:47 AM
Is it possible?
by kangtuo
Fashion Jewelry
Today at 01:54 AM
What's your favorite fashion item?
by kangtuo
Fashion Jewelry
Today at 01:51 AM
Chinese valentine’s day
by happy to make friends
Creativity
Today at 01:51 AM
What to wear to add more impression?
by kangtuo
Fashion Jewelry
Today at 01:49 AM
Strawberries and John Lennon - Made Me Cry!
by Allyson - USACook/HomeCook
American Regional Cuisine
Today at 12:46 AM
Shaving for us women ?
by Nancy Roussy
Body Care
Today at 12:36 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
2 registered (Rosie 66, Teri Dixon), 117 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.