Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
minas, puumando, 2013, Geddingsm1992, Suzann
57212 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57213 Members
417 Forums
113005 Topics
801046 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Rosie 66 803
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 470
Beetlemess 305
Nancy Roussy 153
Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 109
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 86
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 80
Susan - Meditation Editor 47
Sandra Investing/HFinance 45
Mona - Astronomy 39
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#390281 - 03/10/08 01:36 PM Tea and Coffee as hydration
Heather - Chinese Culture Offline
Gecko

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio
Keeping track of how much water you drink can be a pain sometimes, but since I drink bottled water, it is fairly easier to keep track of how much water you drink according to how many bottles you drink in a day. When it comes to liquids though, I tend to drink more tea. One source tells me that 8 ozs of tea or coffee, if made brewed at home and you know what's going into it, can count as 1 cup of your recommended daily water intake. Another source say it does not. Can anyone set the record straight?

Since the tea I brew is basically nothing but tea leaves and water, shouldn't it be considered a legit source of hydration?

Add Tea and Coffee as hydration to Twitter Add Tea and Coffee as hydration to Facebook Add Tea and Coffee as hydration to MySpace Add Tea and Coffee as hydration to Del.icio.us Digg Tea and Coffee as hydration Add Tea and Coffee as hydration to Yahoo My Web Add Tea and Coffee as hydration to Google Bookmarks Add Tea and Coffee as hydration to Stumbleupon Add Tea and Coffee as hydration to Reddit
#390380 - 03/10/08 03:59 PM Re: Tea and Coffee as hydration [Re: Heather - Chinese Culture]
chloe21 Offline
Zebra

Loc: East Coast
I've always counted all liquids as part of my daily water intake. Another thing to remember is that you get a lot of water from food also, especially fruits and vegetables. But that's more difficult to measure.

FavoriteTraditions.com
Life's Special Moments

Add Re: Tea and Coffee as hydration to Twitter Add Re: Tea and Coffee as hydration to Facebook Add Re: Tea and Coffee as hydration to MySpace Add Re: Tea and Coffee as hydration to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Tea and Coffee as hydration Add Re: Tea and Coffee as hydration to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Tea and Coffee as hydration to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Tea and Coffee as hydration to Stumbleupon Add Re: Tea and Coffee as hydration to Reddit
#390411 - 03/10/08 04:34 PM Re: Tea and Coffee as hydration [Re: chloe21]
joanj Offline
Koala

Loc: Texas
I've always gone by the idea that you can't count coffee and tea because they are diuretic and make your bladder, kidneys, etc work harder. With coffee too you are putting in some good stuff but also some not-so-good stuff so it isn't a pure source of liquid for your body.

Also, unless you use all organic sources for coffee and tea, you're getting some extra stuff there you don't really want too.

Pure water (or liquids from food) are still the best, I think. Unless you happen to live in a city with medications showing up in the water! Arlington, TX, where I live is one that has them. I use a filtering system on my sink but you can also absorb them through your skin in the shower, etc.

here's an article about it.
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Add Re: Tea and Coffee as hydration to Twitter Add Re: Tea and Coffee as hydration to Facebook Add Re: Tea and Coffee as hydration to MySpace Add Re: Tea and Coffee as hydration to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Tea and Coffee as hydration Add Re: Tea and Coffee as hydration to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Tea and Coffee as hydration to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Tea and Coffee as hydration to Stumbleupon Add Re: Tea and Coffee as hydration to Reddit
#390465 - 03/10/08 06:11 PM Re: Tea and Coffee as hydration [Re: joanj]
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Right the problem with caffeine is that it damages your body's ability to process that water fully. So it can't count as a full cup in that sense. If you drink herbal tea it is fine!

#390477 - 03/10/08 06:23 PM Re: Tea and Coffee as hydration [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Lady J Offline
Elephant

Loc: West Central IL (USA)
I drink iced tea all the time. I make sure however I drink more than I "need" to for the daily water levels so that I can make up for the caffeine in the tea which causes not all the water to be usable. I also then limit myself in the soda sense and will not drink more than 12 ounces of soda in a day. However, I may drink a non-caffeine soda more than once in a day but that isn't as bad since it is no caffeine.

I also drink water and rarely drink coffee as it's caffeine levels are WAY too much for my system tat functions on little to no caffeine.

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!

#390492 - 03/10/08 06:41 PM Re: Tea and Coffee as hydration [Re: Lady J]
chloe21 Offline
Zebra

Loc: East Coast
I can't take much caffeine either and always drink all decaf products. I hardly ever drink soda but when I do it's caffeine free too. I wonder if even with decaf drinks if there is a trace amount of the caffeine that keeps you from absorbing some of the water?

Edited by chloe21 (03/10/08 06:42 PM)

FavoriteTraditions.com
Life's Special Moments

#390664 - 03/11/08 12:10 AM Re: Tea and Coffee as hydration [Re: chloe21]
BellaOnline Editor

Chloe - if you start with something that has caffeine in it like tea then yes even the decaffeinated tea has some caffeine in it. But if it's something that never had caffeine in it at all - like herbal tea - then you're all set smile

#390831 - 03/11/08 06:01 AM Re: Tea and Coffee as hydration [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

Loc: Verde Valley, AZ
Since i only drink decaf coffee in the morning i figure i can only count half of it as hydration. Even decaf has SOME caf in it. But it's my best compromise since I do enjoy morning coffee. I did try only teas in the morning for about a year, but it's tough. Like the "mouth feel" of coffee (black, no milk or sugar).

#390980 - 03/11/08 05:05 PM Re: Tea and Coffee as hydration [Re: Jilly]
BellaOnline Editor

Half is still better than nothing!! And I definitely am all for enjoying what you eat and drink smile

#391217 - 03/11/08 11:21 PM Re: Tea and Coffee as hydration [Re: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor

Loc: Verde Valley, AZ
yeah, that's how I see it.

I don't drink soda, but would imagine many people only drink soda during the day and no water. Would non-caf, sugar-free type sodas count, then, for those people, as hydration?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Lisa's Daily 10pm EST / 8pm MST Meditation
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Meditation
Today at 10:05 PM
Word From Last Letter Game
by Ro Longstreet-Wicca
Contests & Sweepstakes
Today at 09:10 PM
Game - Vampire Names
by Ro Longstreet-Wicca
Creativity
Today at 08:59 PM
Job Titles Game
by Ro Longstreet-Wicca
Fiction Writing
Today at 08:55 PM
Coming Up-Yoga Sequences E-book
by Terri - Exercise/Yoga Editor
Yoga
Today at 08:50 PM
Get Ready for new E-books
by Terri - Exercise/Yoga Editor
Exercise
Today at 08:46 PM
What Did You Write Today?
by Jana - Creativity Editor
Fiction Writing
Today at 08:21 PM
I Lost Almost Everything
by Jana - Creativity Editor
Stress Management
Today at 08:18 PM
Olay Pro-X- Advanced Cleansing System Review
by Rosie52
Body Care
Today at 07:00 PM
Daily World Peace Group Meditation
by Susan - Meditation Editor
Meditation
Today at 01:28 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
0 registered (), 130 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.