Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
azirajewels, Chrissy Brady-Smith, Emma Lomax, noahmiller2, Yass Ifisovich
57459 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57460 Members
417 Forums
113586 Topics
806650 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 07:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 417
Nancy Roussy 224
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 118
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 63
Jana - Creativity Editor 57
Mona - Astronomy 52
Beetlemess 49
Sandra Investing/HFinance 48
Susan - Meditation Editor 40
mary-tea1 23
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#388682 - 03/07/08 09:40 AM What's wrong with Agatha?!
Heather - Chinese Culture Offline
Gecko

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio
One day, I was talking to my sister and I told her that if I ever have a baby, I would like for her English name to be Agatha. She looked at me like I was crazy and told me that she would probably call the kid by her middle name if I named her Agatha.

I mentioned this to other people and they gave me the same reaction. No one likes the name Agatha. What's wrong with it? I think the name is beautiful!

Edited by Heather - Chinese Culture (03/07/08 09:43 AM)

Add What's wrong with Agatha?! to Twitter Add What's wrong with Agatha?! to Facebook Add What's wrong with Agatha?! to MySpace Add What's wrong with Agatha?! to Del.icio.us Digg What's wrong with Agatha?! Add What's wrong with Agatha?! to Yahoo My Web Add What's wrong with Agatha?! to Google Bookmarks Add What's wrong with Agatha?! to Stumbleupon Add What's wrong with Agatha?! to Reddit
#388688 - 03/07/08 09:59 AM Re: What's wrong with Agatha?! [Re: Heather - Chinese Culture]
cela Offline
Shark

Loc: Mississippi USA
My guess is that the name, Agatha, starts with the "ag" sound which usually isn't associated with beautiful or pleasant thoughts or things. That sound sort of reminds one of "ugh."

Having said all this, I might have considered naming a baby Agatha anyway--if I had thought of it. One of my favorite authors is Agatha Christie. Also, the name sounds strong to me, and strong is good. It has the ring of a very old name--I wonder how old it is.

Add Re: What's wrong with Agatha?! to Twitter Add Re: What's wrong with Agatha?! to Facebook Add Re: What's wrong with Agatha?! to MySpace Add Re: What's wrong with Agatha?! to Del.icio.us Digg Re: What's wrong with Agatha?! Add Re: What's wrong with Agatha?! to Yahoo My Web Add Re: What's wrong with Agatha?! to Google Bookmarks Add Re: What's wrong with Agatha?! to Stumbleupon Add Re: What's wrong with Agatha?! to Reddit
#388691 - 03/07/08 10:05 AM Re: What's wrong with Agatha?! [Re: cela]
Gecko

Agatha Christie is one of my favorites as well smile

Add Re: What's wrong with Agatha?! to Twitter Add Re: What's wrong with Agatha?! to Facebook Add Re: What's wrong with Agatha?! to MySpace Add Re: What's wrong with Agatha?! to Del.icio.us Digg Re: What's wrong with Agatha?! Add Re: What's wrong with Agatha?! to Yahoo My Web Add Re: What's wrong with Agatha?! to Google Bookmarks Add Re: What's wrong with Agatha?! to Stumbleupon Add Re: What's wrong with Agatha?! to Reddit
#388710 - 03/07/08 10:23 AM Re: What's wrong with Agatha?! [Re: Heather - Chinese Culture]
Phyllis Doyle Burns Offline
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Loc: Reno, NV
I really like the name Agatha. You can find out how women with the name Agatha feel about it at:

www.babynamesworld.com/meaning_of_Agatha.html

"Origin is Greek and it means 'Good'."

"Agatha and its related forms were very popular in the Middle Ages, owing in large part to the popularity of Saint Agatha, virgin and martyr. It fell out of use in Protestant countries after the Reformation, but regained some popularity in the nineteenth century. It is very unusual in English-speaking countries today."

Agatha Christie, author of English crime fictions and creator of the characters Poirot and Miss Marple, is one of my favorite authors.

Edited by Phyllis NatAmEd (03/07/08 10:25 AM)

#388714 - 03/07/08 10:27 AM Re: What's wrong with Agatha?! [Re: Phyllis Doyle Burns]
Gecko

Thank you for the link, Phyllis smile It is very helpful.

#388727 - 03/07/08 10:47 AM Re: What's wrong with Agatha?! [Re: Heather - Chinese Culture]
Phyllis Doyle Burns Offline
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Loc: Reno, NV
You are welcome, Heather. Often we name our children because of how we, ourselves, feel about the name. We rarely think about how the child, growing and going thru life, might feel about it and what nicknames other kids might use for that name. But, I think there would be no problems with Agatha.

#389256 - 03/08/08 02:52 AM Re: What's wrong with Agatha?! [Re: Phyllis Doyle Burns]
Nancy - Baby Names Editor Offline
Parakeet

Loc: USA
I really like Agatha, personally. I don't know if I like it quite enough to use it on one of my own children, but I do like it.

Isn't it funny how some old-fashioned names come back, while others do not? I think cela is right -- it has a lot to do with sound.

Olivia, Sophia, Eva, Emma, Hannah... these names, which I'd say are pretty "flowy," have come back into fashion recently.

Ethel, Agnes, Mildred, Gertrude, Mabel... these names, which I might call sorta "clunky," have not come back into fashion.

The only currently fashionable name that doesn't fit too well with this pattern is Abigail, but I think that's because so many parents shorten it to Abby (or Abbie).

#404307 - 04/08/08 12:17 PM Re: What's wrong with Agatha?! [Re: Nancy - Baby Names Editor]
Nancy - Baby Names Editor Offline
Parakeet

Loc: USA
Here's another discussion that was recently started about the name Agatha --

What do you think of Agatha?

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
How do you begin your day?
by Mia Silky
Self Development
9 minutes 35 seconds ago
The Geminids Are Coming!
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
15 minutes 59 seconds ago
Do you prefer to go shopping online?
by Mia Silky
Fashion Jewelry
39 minutes 0 seconds ago
Change a letter game - 6 letter edition
by Dorcy
Inspiration
Today at 01:11 AM
What did you SPEND money on today?
by Nancy Roussy
Frugal Living
Yesterday at 04:26 PM
Tunafish - cans? packets?
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Low Carb
Yesterday at 02:30 PM
Broomsticks Pagan shop
by Ninjahedgewych
Pagan
Yesterday at 10:54 AM
Where are you and how is the weather?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
Yesterday at 09:54 AM
What will you do today?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
Yesterday at 09:53 AM
2014 Eating Log
by Nancy Roussy
Low Carb
Yesterday at 09:50 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
2 registered (Mia Silky, Mona - Astronomy), 45 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.