Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#385331 03/02/08 11:25 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Looking for ideas/activities for April Autism Awareness month for large urban high school staff & students.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
B
Koala
Koala
B
Hi there Annie and welcome to the forum. Good question that has me stumped. Are you looking for something for the staff and students to present to the rest of the school or to the community?

Here is what I found online:

How to Present an Autism Awareness Program for Your Child's Classmates

BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.

Bonnie Sayers - Autism Editor

AUTISM site
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks! I want to increase awareness among staff/ administrators and students
Ann

B
Koala
Koala
B
I am interested in learning about what you decide and if there is a website with details on it once you get it all figured out. Please do update this forum.

AUTISM site
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks for help. Hopefully I will have access to 4 Library showcases in 4 different libraries @ school- Also a case near the main office/entrance. Did bookmarks that will go in every staffperson's mailbox. 300 teachers here. Woodshop class did 4 Autism Ribbons( wood) for display.Posters being made by school print shop- with Did you know w/ famous people & their pictures who have or thought to have been on spectrum.
Thinking about what to put in showcases... Probably books since it is library show case- will use the Bookmark design to make poster backsground for showcase.( ribbon) Probably will have an announcement in AM along w/ the usual ones. Any ideas appreciated. Don't know if time for a PSA type thing. Might have an interview w/ one of my students on our local cable station.

P
P
I teach Design, Multimedia, and Web Technologies in HS, and will repeat what I did last year. After research, each student did an entry of a flyer bringing awareness to one aspect of autism. Naturally, they were to follow rules of layout and design. The results were phenomenal! If you want to see a picture of the 'wall,' email me at: notwrappedtightly@yahoo.com Will be glad to share.

This year, I have a sponsor who is donating $50 for the first 3 prizes!

ALL classes were involved in some way: Keyboarding students made puzzle ribbons (after covering puzzle pieces with glitter), Computer Apps Students did research papers.

P
P
Forgot something! We now have those 'high-dollar' huge TV screens in the cafeteria and at hallway ends, so I chose to put them to good use.

I have created a Powerpoint slide for each day in April. One day has a 'quiz' question about Autism. The following day, the answer is given along with some supporting information.

B
Koala
Koala
B
Welcome to the forum Pattie and thanks for sharing what you have done at your school. What state are you in? Congrats on having a sponsor this year, that is a great incentive too for high school students.

AUTISM site
P
P
I am in Powhatan,VA.

A
OP Offline
A
Good morning
Here's what I've done so far-
There are displays all around the building.Ribbons have been cut out of wood for the showcases. ( Done by Special Needs Woodshop class) Will try to send pics, sent out Ribbon bookmarks to the 300plus staff members, Student Council sold ribbons,( proceeds to New England Asperger's Association) posters being put up,& fact sheets to be distributed in faculty mailboxes, giving "awareness talks" to health classes getting a Walk Team together for the fall Boston Area walk.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.