Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
rstuvw621812, amrapaligolf, Nancy Smith, Ballrealty, khajiitjess
56551 Registered Users
Forum Stats
56551 Members
417 Forums
111395 Topics
785809 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Beetlemess 284
Nancy Roussy 170
loongdragon 162
Rosie 66 143
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 142
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 97
James Andrew 94
Lestie4containergardens 58
Allyson - USACook/HomeCook 54
Mona - Astronomy 49
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#379097 - 02/22/08 03:47 PM Our March Book Club Discussion
Sharon - Wealth Editor Offline
Gecko

Loc: united states
Ready for our March, 2008 Book Club Disussion?

Here's the link to my review of the March Book Club Selection, House of Mirth by Edith Wharton House of Mirth

Our discussion should be fun and we'll share some of our thoughts about women and money in the early 1900's.

I'll start the first question on this forum thread March 1, 2008.

Read the book now and then check back on March 1st and we'll start our discussion.

Let's have some fun with this!

~Sharon smile

Abundance and Wealth Editor and
Self Development Editor

The Abundance and Wealth Site
The Most Recent Abundance and Wealth Featured Article

Sharon's Power To Succeed Blog

Add Our March Book Club Discussion to Twitter Add Our March Book Club Discussion to Facebook Add Our March Book Club Discussion to MySpace Add Our March Book Club Discussion to Del.icio.us Digg Our March Book Club Discussion Add Our March Book Club Discussion to Yahoo My Web Add Our March Book Club Discussion to Google Bookmarks Add Our March Book Club Discussion to Stumbleupon Add Our March Book Club Discussion to Reddit
#379119 - 02/22/08 04:34 PM Re: Our March Book Club Discussion [Re: Sharon - Wealth Editor]
Phyllis Doyle Burns Offline
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Loc: Reno, NV
I am going to the library on Sunday and will definitely check out this book. It really looks interesting and seems to be a book every woman struggling for financial freedom should put on her "must read" list.

Edited by Phyllis D. Burns (02/22/08 04:34 PM)

Add Re: Our March Book Club Discussion to Twitter Add Re: Our March Book Club Discussion to Facebook Add Re: Our March Book Club Discussion to MySpace Add Re: Our March Book Club Discussion to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Our March Book Club Discussion Add Re: Our March Book Club Discussion to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Our March Book Club Discussion to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Our March Book Club Discussion to Stumbleupon Add Re: Our March Book Club Discussion to Reddit
#381021 - 02/25/08 05:37 PM Re: Our March Book Club Discussion [Re: Phyllis Doyle Burns]
Gecko

A reminder we will be beginning our March Book Club Discussion on March 1st.

It is The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton The House of Mirth

Our January selection is still up for discussion it is Women and Money by Suze Orman
Women and Money by Suze Orman

I look forward to learning and growing together!

~Sharon

Self Development Editor

Add Re: Our March Book Club Discussion to Twitter Add Re: Our March Book Club Discussion to Facebook Add Re: Our March Book Club Discussion to MySpace Add Re: Our March Book Club Discussion to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Our March Book Club Discussion Add Re: Our March Book Club Discussion to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Our March Book Club Discussion to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Our March Book Club Discussion to Stumbleupon Add Re: Our March Book Club Discussion to Reddit
#381029 - 02/25/08 05:46 PM Re: Our March Book Club Discussion [Re: Sharon - Wealth Editor]
Deanna Joseph Offline
Elephant

Loc: Southern California
Ooooh, I just read your review, and it sounds like a really good book.

I know I have money issues centered around being a woman. When I was 16 years old my step-dad told me I needed to marry a rich man to take care of me. I grew up just never having very high expectations of my own career - but rather figured I'd married someone who would take care of me.

So, now I'm married, and we both have money issues LOL!

It would be really nice to be independent though. I know I have stress revolving around me not being financially independent - and that I'll just need to have a man take care of me.

#384165 - 03/01/08 12:33 AM Re: Our March Book Club Discussion [Re: Deanna Joseph]
Gecko

A reminder - our book discussion begins tomorrow, March 1st.

There's a link above to our selection, House of Mirth.

Let's have some fun with this!

Self Development Editor

#384937 - 03/02/08 03:42 PM Re: Our March Book Club Discussion [Re: Sharon - Wealth Editor]
Gecko

It's time to start our Book Club discussion of House of Mirth by Edith Wharton - let's have fun!

Here's the review link: House of Mirth

Here's our first question:
1. Do you think the women in Lily's circle enjoyed the "role" placed on them by society, especially when it came to money?

Self Development Editor

#388084 - 03/06/08 01:40 PM Re: Our March Book Club Discussion [Re: Sharon - Wealth Editor]
sunshinehappy Offline
Jellyfish

I think women "accepted" their fate in society. I don't know if they liked having to be given a household allowance, etc. but they accepted it as status quo.

This is the beginning of the 1900's so I think women were getting restless and wanted more control over their lives. Lily wanted to have more and yet she wished she was a man so she could achieve it.

Money was a status symbol you acquired through birth or marriage - there were no self-made women.

#388785 - 03/07/08 05:13 PM Re: Our March Book Club Discussion [Re: sunshinehappy]
Gecko

Wow this goes so well with why it seems women have a difficult time becoming self-made wealthy today.

It's almost like we have to reprogram decades and decades of thoughts and habits about women, money and financal freedom.

Do some of the old programs of the House of Mirth era still carry over to today? I know it did in my mother's generation.

Self Development Editor

#389866 - 03/09/08 02:41 PM Re: Our March Book Club Discussion [Re: Sharon - Wealth Editor]
Gecko

Originally Posted By: Sharon - Wealth Editor
Wow this goes so well with why it seems women have a difficult time becoming self-made wealthy today.

It's almost like we have to reprogram decades and decades of thoughts and habits about women, money and financal freedom.

Do some of the old programs of the House of Mirth era still carry over to today? I know it did in my mother's generation.

Self Development Editor

#394278 - 03/17/08 03:34 PM Re: Our March Book Club Discussion [Re: Sharon - Wealth Editor]
Gecko

Here's another thing to think about in House of Mirth -

Lilly wanted more from life, especially money, but didn't know how to do anything about it - she was a woman.

Do you think women today, in 2008, we still face the same obstacles or challenges? Do we women still face financial challenges just because we are women?

Here's the link to my review of the March Book Club Selection, House of Mirth by Edith Wharton

Self Development Editor

Moderator:  Brandi - Abundance 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
How do i make my skin soft,clear and fair?
by ovinovin7
Cosmetics
12 minutes 58 seconds ago
Detaching from the Drama
by Lauren_D'Silva
New Age
Today at 07:20 AM
Soup du jour
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Sandwiches
Today at 07:07 AM
Gardening and Attention Deficit Disorder
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Attention Deficit Disorder
Today at 06:56 AM
father son
by Ketan bhargav
Jokes & Riddles
Today at 05:08 AM
It's Ugly Necklace voting time again!
by Ketan bhargav
Fashion Jewelry
Today at 05:04 AM
Father Hell - Astronomer
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Today at 04:51 AM
Cocktail Colorful Crystal Ring
by Ketan bhargav
Fashion Jewelry
Today at 04:15 AM
What will you do today?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
Today at 03:08 AM
2014 Eating Log
by Nancy Roussy
Low Carb
Today at 03:04 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
2 registered (Izeigo, 1 invisible), 72 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.