logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#375864 02/14/08 09:06 PM
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
I don't think any of my players are on the forum yet, so I'm probably safe asking for "worst GM" stories. Tell us about the GMs who were so awful that they made you want to see how much damage a sharpened pencil really would do.

I've been lucky to not have any really awful GMs, and the worst of the ones I've had have been at conventions. I can only imagine having a bad GM that I had to play with regularly!

One GM at a convention lured players in with the promise of a particular setting, and then violated just about every expectation players had. It'd be like asking players to create characters for a courtroom drama, and then having the courtroom invaded by aliens at the start of the trial. As long as you knew in advance you were going to be playing an alien invasion scenario, that'd be cool. But bait and switch isn't cool.

The worst thing is, I don't even think the GM understood what he was doing.

So what are your worst GM stories?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Amoeba
Amoeba
OK as of now my players are officially Banned from this topic. Period.-

Fool to the Queen of stories * Student of FuFu * Evil l5r GM
Male*Cute*Young Looking*Little Philosopher

"For the Queen of stories"

Gecko
Gecko
Oh man, we had one DM who was notorious for having a god complex. Namely, one of his favorite characters who he munchkin'd up to be the most powerful THING in all existence. I thought I had never met this persona in game, but was corrected by another player. "Oh no, you've met Morley. Morley is the trees, the magic, the freakin' WORLD. Your character is actually Morley doing some crazy Morley magic that fools himself into thinking it's your character." Apparently Morley is even more annoying than Elminster in the Forgotten Realms setting. :P This DM also loved tossing us players nice magic items, then getting mad that we USED said items and would arbitrarily have them destroyed. Quite frustrating. Also, since he didn't know how to keep things entertaining at low levels, he'd toss so much stuff at us in one game that I think my character actually skipped two levels. >_< (he wanted us high level faster apparently). There's so many stories I could go on for days and keep remembering new things. :P

Gecko
Gecko
Call of Cthulu Modern setting.

We did something the DM didn't expect because my character somehow ended up in charge of the party (I have no idea how other than she, apparently, was the only one who knew how to use a computer). So, we ended up driving around this abandoned asylum and finding nothing because we never went into the building that we were "supposed" to go into. I never figured that one out. I played my character and she saw the building that looked so much creepier than the others and said, "Yeah...not there." Everyone else just listened. The DM was so frustrated, she called the game and complained how I'd ruined it.

Kryssie Mackey

Jilly:
"[Kryssie] plans to take over the world one banner at a time"
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Originally Posted By: GreyDrakkon
"Oh no, you've met Morley. Morley is the trees, the magic, the freakin' WORLD. Your character is actually Morley doing some crazy Morley magic that fools himself into thinking it's your character."

Now that is a god complex!

Originally Posted By: Christa - This Date

We did something the DM didn't expect because my character somehow ended up in charge of the party (I have no idea how other than she, apparently, was the only one who knew how to use a computer). So, we ended up driving around this abandoned asylum and finding nothing because we never went into the building that we were "supposed" to go into. I never figured that one out. I played my character and she saw the building that looked so much creepier than the others and said, "Yeah...not there." Everyone else just listened. The DM was so frustrated, she called the game and complained how I'd ruined it.

Yeah, Call of Cthulhu can be tricky that way. You can't really expect characters to do something stupid right off that bat (at least not until insanity sets in). I like to isolate characters pretty much from the start to limit their options (on an island without a boat, in a remote house during a storm, etc).

Amoeba
Amoeba
Ok here is one, that really made me realize exactly how sort a lease i should keep on my players. I had been gathering l5r rpg books for about 4-5 months when i found some guys out of town, that were playing and convinced them to join in. Their GM had a strange view of the setting. To be more accurate he knew very little about the game. I ended up dominating the party and the story because my knowledge of the game far outmatched his. The story ended up with me from being a lowly ronin to turning into the story's villain- the GM had thought of no "villains" or "nemesis" for the story we were to play, he just gathered a group of samurai from every clan and me- the ronin- gave us a wedding gift and told us we were to present said gift to implied wedding.. Then while we were making our way through the forest next to the castle that the wedding was taking place he rolled on random encounter and we ended up with a fox spirit -a kitsune- stealing the gift....We spent 3, yes 3 sessions trying to get the gift back because the GM would not allow me to track the fox spirit using hunting...For obvious reasons i end up being accused by the other samurai of stealing the gift for myself, they wanted to save face to the newly weds. After being hunted for some sessions - and having just acquired the "bearers of jade" sourcebook - i call to the powers of FuFu ( yes that would be the nickname for Fu Leng from villains topic smile ) and end up with power. Not power POWER, because my GM did not know what i was doing and how strong an opposition i would present. I killed the party of 7 player characters and 6 major nps... I had fun the rest.. well the rest don't want to know me but they ditched said GM smile

Fool to the Queen of stories * Student of FuFu * Evil l5r GM
Male*Cute*Young Looking*Little Philosopher

"For the Queen of stories"

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
It's funny but I've played RPGs since I was very little and never really ran into an awful GM. They all did their best and we had a lot of fun. I usually play with very tolerant players though smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Most GMs do want their players to enjoy themselves, and try to do their best. The worst I've ever gotten from a regular GM was a bit of railroading when I tried doing something that didn't fit into the plot.

But it's fun to hear about the ones who are more...interesting than that.

Moderated by  Leif - Role Playing Games 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.