Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
bertinglebra, ostabest, spoodle22, KaylaWa, Marie Stroman
57465 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57466 Members
417 Forums
113611 Topics
806778 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 07:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 416
Nancy Roussy 230
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 108
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 66
Jana - Creativity Editor 60
Mona - Astronomy 59
Beetlemess 49
Sandra Investing/HFinance 48
Susan - Meditation Editor 39
mary-tea1 18
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#342406 - 09/20/07 12:44 PM Need fresh girl name ideas...
Kelly76 Offline

Loc: IN
We're expecting our second child in March and are stumped for a girl's name. We're not finding out the gender this time. We have our boy's name picked out...Deacon Joseph. Our first son's name is Sawyer David. I don't like unisex names or ones that are overly popular/trendy. I tend to like older, very feminine girl names. Just a few on our list are: Eliza, Lydia, Stella, Lilia. Ava was also on our list, but is becoming too popular in my opinion. I want to use Jane as the MN, b/c that was my mom's name. Any new suggestions?

Add Need fresh girl name ideas... to Twitter Add Need fresh girl name ideas... to Facebook Add Need fresh girl name ideas... to MySpace Add Need fresh girl name ideas... to Del.icio.us Digg Need fresh girl name ideas... Add Need fresh girl name ideas... to Yahoo My Web Add Need fresh girl name ideas... to Google Bookmarks Add Need fresh girl name ideas... to Stumbleupon Add Need fresh girl name ideas... to Reddit
#342415 - 09/20/07 01:12 PM Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... [Re: Kelly76]
Lisa_Orlando Offline
Parakeet

I named my daughter Diane Elisabeth Shannon (yes two middle names, just like me). I wanted a name that she would not run into, so far there hasn't been ONE Diane in her school but I also wanted a name people had heard of.

We have of course run into adults with this name but no children.

Lisa isn't my real name, my real name is imposible to spell and something my Mother got from a Movie, I have always HATED having a "unique" name, one no one could spell.

I love names that speak of our heritage so I also added Shannon because my daughter and I are Irish extraction.

If I ever had another daughter, I wanted to name her Katherine, there are so many ways to shorten that name and so much history attached to it, although I probably would have gone with Catherine instead. I always liked how they would call people with that name Cat for short.

I also love the name Fiona and Felicity. When I was naming a new cat recently, I found some realy cool websites with baby names on them, you can choose to look up names with an Irish background or whatever your background is.

Add Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... to Twitter Add Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... to Facebook Add Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... to MySpace Add Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... Add Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... to Stumbleupon Add Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... to Reddit
#342420 - 09/20/07 01:32 PM Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... [Re: Lisa_Orlando]
Jeanette - Editor Offline
Chipmunk

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio
Well my name is very old fashioned. I was named after my great grandmother who's full name was Matrona Jeanette, her sisters called her Mattie. My grandmother had a sister named Antalee. I so wanted to name my daughter that but I got voted out lol my daughter is Aubrey Leno (pronounced Leeno) Michele. I found out after she was born that Aubrey is actually a Gaelic boys name. I loved the name Isabelle or Isabella when I was pregnant. For awhile we were going to name her Isabelle Evangaline, sounded old fashioned. I like the name Trinity for some reason too. Keep us posted!

Add Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... to Twitter Add Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... to Facebook Add Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... to MySpace Add Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... Add Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... to Stumbleupon Add Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... to Reddit
#342435 - 09/20/07 02:02 PM Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... [Re: Jeanette - Editor]
Sue Early Childhood Offline
Gecko

I love the name Tabitha - not sure how well it goes with Jane or your last name though. I also like the name Destiny.

#343044 - 09/22/07 04:42 PM Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... [Re: Sue Early Childhood]
Nancy - Baby Names Editor Offline
Parakeet

Loc: USA
Feminine and old-fashioned? How about...

Adela/Adelina
Arabella
Audra/Audria
Aurelia
Aurora
Carmella
Claudette/Claudine
Colette
Cordelia
Delia
Dorothea
Estelle
Felice/Felicia (piggybacking on Lisa's suggestion of Felicity)
Iona/Ione
Magnolia ("Maggie" for short)
Nicola
Odessa
Odette
Oriana
Rosalia/Rosaline
Sonja
Suzette
Tessa
Yvette/Ivette

I'm not sure if all of these are on the right track, though -- the example names you gave seem a bit more streamlined.

Could you give us some more of the names already on your list? That might help us come up with suggestions that are more tailored to your taste.

Edited by Nancy R Callahan (09/22/07 04:47 PM)

#343045 - 09/22/07 04:50 PM Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... [Re: Nancy - Baby Names Editor]
Terrence Offline
Jellyfish

I always liked Elizabeth. This way, you can call her Liz, Lizzy, Beth, LizBeth...

I like Megan too.

#343506 - 09/24/07 12:56 PM Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... [Re: Nancy - Baby Names Editor]
Kelly76 Offline

Eliza (my fave at this point), Lydia, Stella, Lilia

Let's see, there was Ava, Emma (both becoming a bit too popular here), Lilly, Charlotte, Fiona and Evangeline (probably my fave, but I don't like the hard G sounds in both Evangeline and Jane).

Thanks for your help!

#343545 - 09/24/07 03:30 PM Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... [Re: Kelly76]
Nancy - Baby Names Editor Offline
Parakeet

Loc: USA
How about:

Ada
Amelia/Amelie
Beatrice
Clara/Claire
Daisy
Dora
Dorothy
Eva/Evie
Flora
Helen/Helene
Holly
Ida
Ivy
Lenora
Lila
Louisa
Molly
Natalie
Nellie
Nora
Phoebe
Violet

(Edited to take out "Lorraine," which would actually not pair so well with "Jane," now that I'm thinking about it...)

Edited by Nancy R Callahan (09/24/07 03:33 PM)

#343673 - 09/24/07 08:32 PM Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... [Re: Nancy - Baby Names Editor]
Kelly76 Offline

Wow, thanks! I really like quite a few of those, especially Amelia, Eva, Helene or Helena, and Lenora or Lenore. Lilah was also on our list, but a friend just used it for their little girl. I really liked the name Delilah, but dh wouldn't go for it b/c of the biblical connotation. Helen was actually the name of an aunt that I lived with for awhile after my mom passed away, so I thought about using that as well. I just don't want other family members to get mad, not sure why I should care though. LOL!

#343680 - 09/24/07 08:55 PM Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... [Re: Kelly76]
HappyandLucky Offline

Hi,
Congratulations on expecting your second child. You must be so excited.
What do you think about the name Felicity? It's definitely an older name, and many people tend to think of it as a feminine name. What I love so very much about the name is the beautiful meaning. Felicity means both Happiness and
Source of Happiness.
So, how does Felicity Jane sound to you?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Post Here to FIND or BE a beta reader of fiction!
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Fiction Writing
Yesterday at 09:55 PM
What Did You Write Today?
by Grace - Mystery Movies
Fiction Writing
Yesterday at 08:00 PM
The Haunting of Julia
by Grace - Mystery Movies
Mystery Movies
Yesterday at 07:55 PM
Lisa's Daily 10pm EST / 8pm MST Meditation
Meditation
Yesterday at 05:46 PM
Winter Solstice Mused Literary Review is LIVE
Poetry
Yesterday at 03:42 PM
Earth from Space - beautiful images
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Yesterday at 02:54 PM
What did you SPEND money on today?
by Nancy Roussy
Frugal Living
Yesterday at 12:18 PM
Winter Solstice in Ireland
by Bee - IrishCulture
Irish Culture
Yesterday at 09:58 AM
While you Were Sleeping Movie Review
by Mystic - Romance Movies
Romance Movies
Yesterday at 09:23 AM
Where are you and how is the weather?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
Yesterday at 08:37 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.