Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
Manisha Pal, Rain_2014, EmmaIsherwood, fit4fashion, ashjoielee
57316 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57317 Members
417 Forums
113297 Topics
804033 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 717
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 393
Jana - Creativity Editor 286
Beetlemess 286
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 78
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 61
Dorcy 59
Mona - Astronomy 48
Susan - Meditation Editor 47
Linu 47
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#307602 - 04/17/07 12:52 PM Journaling
Terrie Lynn Bittner Offline

Parakeet

Do you keep a journal? Do you teach your children to journal? I started my first journal when I was in eighth grade at the suggestion of my journalism teacher. I started teaching my children to dictate/draw journals as soon as they could talk.

Is your journal just for you or do you keep it so future generations will get to know you?
Author of Homeschooling:Take a Deep Breath--You Can Do This!

AOL: TerrieLBittner

Add Journaling to Twitter Add Journaling to Facebook Add Journaling to MySpace Add Journaling to Del.icio.us Digg Journaling Add Journaling to Yahoo My Web Add Journaling to Google Bookmarks Add Journaling to Stumbleupon Add Journaling to Reddit
#307668 - 04/17/07 08:34 PM Re: Journaling [Re: Terrie Lynn Bittner]
GtownmaGenealogy Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Loc: Germantown, TN
I have started something I call genealogy journaling. I have those days where I do my day to day thoughts, but about once or twice a month I write about a family member, both living and those who have died. I tell stories I know about them or something they have done for me. I tell about what we may have done together. I am trying to get my 14 year old son to start doing this also.

Tina Sansone
Ebook Manager
GENEALOGY Editor

Add Re: Journaling to Twitter Add Re: Journaling to Facebook Add Re: Journaling to MySpace Add Re: Journaling to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Journaling Add Re: Journaling to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Journaling to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Journaling to Stumbleupon Add Re: Journaling to Reddit
#307708 - 04/18/07 12:59 AM Re: Journaling [Re: GtownmaGenealogy]

Parakeet

That's a great idea! I'm worried about the family stories dying, because the storytellers are all gone. I've been trying to get down the ones I remember.

Add Re: Journaling to Twitter Add Re: Journaling to Facebook Add Re: Journaling to MySpace Add Re: Journaling to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Journaling Add Re: Journaling to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Journaling to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Journaling to Stumbleupon Add Re: Journaling to Reddit
#307724 - 04/18/07 02:41 AM Re: Journaling [Re: Terrie Lynn Bittner]
Special Needs Mom Offline

Loc: Canada
I used to be an avid journal writer, and took a lot of cues from Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way.

Over time, it became a fabulous way to sort out problems.

However, now that I have a family, I hardly write. When I do, I usually shred it as soon as possible. I don't want to keep my 'ugly' thoughts on paper.

However, I also tried to start a family journal. We just kept a notebook and pen in the kitchen, and whenever anyone saw or thought of something interesting, into the journal it went. With very your children, it was a great way to remember all the milestones and cute things that kids do, especially when talking to grandparents. It was always meant to be a 'public' journal for use by close family.

Over time, as life has gotten more busy though, this practice has fallen by the wayside. Too bad actually. I think as our kids get older, they'll want to know more about their early lives and how they interacted.

Maybe with this reminder I'll re-start the family journal.

Thanks for the reminder.
Anna

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

#307740 - 04/18/07 06:01 AM Re: Journaling [Re: Special Needs Mom]
Julie - Computer Careers Offline
Parakeet

Loc: Portland, OR, USA
I'm keeping a scrapbook of family stories. Sometimes I'll go looking for things, but often, something I see at the scrapbook store reminds me of something from my family history that I don't actually have pictures of. For instance, a page of stickers about Las Vegas reminded me of a funny story my great-aunt told me about when she went to Vegas with her husband and her sister. I write out the stories on sheets of about 5 X 7 paper and put on a larger page with whatever stickers or scrapbooking doo-dads I have. It's helped me remember and document things I had almost forgotten. I've never had anyone in my family interested in looking at the stories I'd written down previously, but they'll look at my scrapbook...

Julie

#307766 - 04/18/07 12:45 PM Re: Journaling [Re: Julie - Computer Careers]

Parakeet

Special Needs Mom, I have an article on my other site suggesting family journaling is a great Sunday afternoon activity--a quiet family time. It can start with a "Remember When" which is great to get an audio recording of. Then everyone writes their version of it. It's interesting how differently each person perceives the event.

And Julie, that's a great idea. Pictures do tend to hold more interest for some people!

Edited by Terrie Lynn Bittner (04/18/07 12:47 PM)

Moderator:  Brenda - Teaching LDS 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Word From Last Letter Game
by "Rosie"
Contests & Sweepstakes
1 second ago
First Letter-Last Letter
by "Rosie"
Attention Deficit Disorder
15 minutes 13 seconds ago
Cosmic Halloween Tour . . . If you dare
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
32 minutes 27 seconds ago
Ogden garden verse game
by xmeecosmic
Container Gardening
Today at 02:00 PM
Daily World Peace Group Meditation
by Susan - Meditation Editor
Meditation
Today at 12:40 PM
Cheese and Roasted Green Chilli Tamales Recipe
by Isabel - Mexican Food
Mexican Food
Today at 12:00 PM
Quizzes about Neuromuscular Disease
by Jori-ND Editor
Neuromuscular Diseases
Today at 11:14 AM
I Am Back Online
by Nancy Roussy
Stress Management
Today at 10:39 AM
Shopping at Costco Game
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Sandwiches
Today at 09:04 AM
New Review - Clue!
by Rick - Funny Flicks
Comedy Movies
Today at 08:56 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
1 registered ("Rosie"), 146 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.