Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
JuneJenny, debbiebbb, Anne_0921, Ebnul Karim Benzima, Morr27
56590 Registered Users
Forum Stats
56590 Members
417 Forums
111495 Topics
786341 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Beetlemess 273
Nancy Roussy 178
Rosie 66 155
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 130
loongdragon 113
James Andrew 109
Lestie4containergardens 72
Jilly 69
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 69
Susan - Meditation Editor 52
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#305334 - 04/05/07 09:10 PM Hemming a bridesmaid dress
kat1 Offline

My daughter bought a bridemaids dress and wants me to hem it for her. It has a umpire waist. It has a small train in the back. How do you hem a dress like this. It is 100% polyster.
The bride's dress need's a bussle made , It has a zipper in the back and is also a-line.
Thank You
Kat1

Add Hemming a bridesmaid dress to Twitter Add Hemming a bridesmaid dress to Facebook Add Hemming a bridesmaid dress to MySpace Add Hemming a bridesmaid dress to Del.icio.us Digg Hemming a bridesmaid dress Add Hemming a bridesmaid dress to Yahoo My Web Add Hemming a bridesmaid dress to Google Bookmarks Add Hemming a bridesmaid dress to Stumbleupon Add Hemming a bridesmaid dress to Reddit
#313278 - 05/14/07 01:56 PM Re: Hemming a bridesmaid dress [Re: kat1]
cela Offline
Shark

Loc: Mississippi USA
Hope the wedding hasn't already occurred. Anyway, here's what I know in case it's not too late. These things come to mind: Can you copy the original hemming job, or was it bought unhemmed? Is this dress lined? Is it shear?

If you like the original hemming job and can copy it, just do that. Otherwise, if it's lined, you would want to have both hems (the top layer and the lining) facing the same direction--turned up on the wrong side--toward the wearer. Do NOT let the hems face each other because (1) they could catch on each other and bunch and (2) the lining hem would show if the top layer were accidentally pulled up while the dress is being worn.

As for the actual hemming job, if you think the dress can take the heat, iron the hem in and pin it before sewing. You probably know you can usually get around the heat issue by laying a thin, damp cloth over the area you want to iron. This keeps the direct heat off the delicate fabric. Sewing the hem with a blind stitch by hand will look a lot nicer than top stitching it. This takes time; but, to me, it's worth it. If you decide to top stitch, just do it as neatly as you can. If the dress is shear, a narrow hem will look best--turn up about 1/4 inch and then 1/4 inch again--total of 1/2 inch. Let the lining hem be the same depth as the outer layer. If the dress is not shear, a deeper hem would probably look nice--maybe a couple of inches--IF you're blind stiching by hand. If you're top stitching by machine, a narrow hem will probably look best whether the outer layer is shear or not.

It just occurred to me that you must be concerned because the dress is umpire (duh!?). For that, you should pin the hem in with the bridesmaid wearing the dress. This way, you can make sure the hem is equi-distant from the floor all the way around the bottom of the dress. Put the wearer on a sturdy box while you're pinning, if possible. This will make the job a little easier. Anyway, pinning things while they are on the wearer allows you to stand back and check the way the fabric is hanging.

As for the bride's bustle, I do not have any experience with that one. I'm guessing you can attach a bustle with snaps, hooks, or velcro. Maybe there's a pattern for one--or some info on the internet. Sorry I don't know more about bustles. Hope all goes well.

Edited by cela (05/14/07 02:07 PM)

Add Re: Hemming a bridesmaid dress to Twitter Add Re: Hemming a bridesmaid dress to Facebook Add Re: Hemming a bridesmaid dress to MySpace Add Re: Hemming a bridesmaid dress to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Hemming a bridesmaid dress Add Re: Hemming a bridesmaid dress to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Hemming a bridesmaid dress to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Hemming a bridesmaid dress to Stumbleupon Add Re: Hemming a bridesmaid dress to Reddit

Moderator:  Tammy - Sewing Editor 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
William Shakespeare or Wilhelm Shakespeare?
by Lestie4containergardens
German Culture
17 minutes 54 seconds ago
What will you do today?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
34 minutes 11 seconds ago
2014 Eating Log
by Nancy Roussy
Low Carb
36 minutes 57 seconds ago
What did you dream about last night?
by Nancy Roussy
Dreams
41 minutes 51 seconds ago
Domestic vs. International Adoption
by Deanna - Adoption Editor
Adoption
47 minutes 57 seconds ago
International Dark Sky Week - Save the Night!
Astronomy
Today at 07:32 AM
What My Spirituality Is!
by loongdragon
Spirituality
Today at 06:08 AM
Breaking Up by Ignoring Someone
by Anne_0921
Dating
Today at 04:49 AM
How do i make my skin soft,clear and fair?
by kiwistech
Cosmetics
Today at 02:09 AM
Gardening Bumper Stickers
Container Gardening
Today at 01:37 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
1 registered (Izeigo), 60 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.