logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Hello, I am Nancy, your new Motorcycles editor.

My first question to the readers is: Why do you wear a helmet or not when riding?

In some states this is a personal choice, so I am asking our readers to share their thoughts and experiences on why they do or do not wear a helmet? This could provide for some hot debate, so everyone should be overly respectful of each other's opinions and rights.

Hope to get some interesting perspectives!

Last edited by Nancy - Motorcycles; 04/04/07 11:20 AM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
E
evo Offline
E
You can tell the guys(or girls) who have never been in a really serious crash. They're the ones wearing the novelty helmets or no helmets at all. Bikers who have had "the wreck" are wearing leathers from the neck down and DOT from the neck up.

Check out the guy in this video

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

There's never enough time to ride as far as I want!

http://www.gogocycles.com/SMD Home of Strike Lightnin' Choppers and Rally
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Evo,

A picture is worth a thousand words! Regardless, people will do what they want to do. I like the feel of the wind in my hair, (doesn't everyone) but if for example a Soccer Mom that is driving a minivan and talking on a cell phone, inadvertantly cuts me off and I go down, I want to protect the hair and skin.

Again, thanks. Very impactful.

E
evo Offline
E

Helmets in winter aren't so bad, but in the summer they really bug me. They are hot as all get out! Those silver ones may not look that great, but they are more comfortable in the blazing hot sun.

There's never enough time to ride as far as I want!

http://www.gogocycles.com/SMD Home of Strike Lightnin' Choppers and Rally
Hi. I just stumbled on this site and forum and this thread caught my eye.

I wear a helmet and gloves everytime I ride. 95% of the time I also have my jacket, boots, and maybe riding pants on. I have ridden for 2 and a half years and put on over 20k miles on my SV. I have not gone down. Yet. I probablly have more motorcycle gear than anyone I know. 4 helmets included. The one time I actually rode on the back of someone's bike, I had a 3/4 helmet on. My eyes where swimming in my head and I really wanted the protection of my full faced Shoei. How do people ride like this? Or with no gear or protection? The skin was crawling on my arms, I couldn't see, and it made me just plain miserable.

I lived in Phoenix for 2 years. I wore my leather jacket and full faced helmet all year long. Yes, in the summer too. It keeps your skin more cool then textile or with nothing on at all. The jacket can of course, stand on it's own now, and I have replaced it with another leather jacket, but I wear that everyday I ride too. Now with full gaunlet leather gloves. As long as I am moving its great. It's the stop lights that kill me. Why do I do this? Well, #1..I like my skin. And my tattoos. And if there ever is a chance I go down, then I want to make sure I have taken all the precaution I can to make sure I will be ok. #2..I am a single mom of 2 little kids, ages 6 and 10. I have to make sure I come home to them. Plus, I want them to see how much I enjoy riding, and I am doing it safely.

The debate can go on and on. In a perfect world, yes, I would like to feel the wind in my hair. But, it is not perfect and there are too many factors against motorcyclist. There are circumstances that a helmet isn't going to save your life. But, for the most part it is. And I'm not talking about little brain buckets. All they are designed to do is satisfy the law. I have been in the motorcycle industry since I purchased my motorcycle. I am currently a a motorcycle mechanic and Service manager of a BMW Dealership. When I was at MMI, I worked for Cycle Gear who trained me on every part of their store. I took helmets personally. I learned everything I could about them. So yes, for the most part, it is your decision. But it is also your head, it's a no brainer. And for the ones that don't wear helmets, they should have to carry enough medical insurance to cover them if they do get into an accident. That way, no one else's motorcycle or heath insurance goes up because it has to cover someone who chose not to wear a helmet.

Ok, that's a bit much. Hi everyone...

The Cheraholla Skyway. A motorcyclist dream road. 50 miles of 80mph sweeping corners. I am moving there!
F
Gecko
Gecko
F
I live in a helmet state so that's how I got started wearing one. I do, however, commute 50 miles daily in a non-helmet state. It is not only leaving and returning to a helmet state that keeps me wearing one though. I'm more comfortable in a helmet.

One, it reduces wind noise.

Two, I don't find it hot in the summer, except maybe in a traffic standstill, and you're going to be hot anyway in a jam. Plus you can take it off in a jam. Another factor is I wear white helmets which reflect the sun's heat.

Three, at the speeds I travel I find it much more comfortable in a helmet. Maybe it's different for skinny folks, but when I get going at supra-legal speeds without a helmet (I lived in CO a while) my lips get mashed and flobble around, the flesh on my face gets pushed around like in those g-force pictures and when I look over my shoulder my shades blow off (well, not any more, I learned to hold them on when turning 20 years ago.)

Four, the general principle that there are two kinds of riders, those who have crashed and those who are going to crash. I was lucky enough to get one out of the way earlier this year (when you haven't crashed in twenty years you start to worry how it will be this time). Took a small diver stopping in a right turn merge - I could see that curb coming the whole time until I bongoed the side of my head into it. Wearing a good helmet, no problem.

I wear a full face helmet. Most of the year I leave the wind screen off, 'cause I like the breeze too. I'll tell you what tho, a windshiled feels just fine on 32 degree mornings and even better during 35 degree rains.

I started wearing a full face more than 25 years ago. I was watching a stunt rider jump some cars. He made the jump, but not the important part - the landing. He endoed and slid down the track on his chest and face. He got up and his face was fine - he was wearing a full-face and the chin bar and wind screen saved him from major shredding.

Where it is legal I might ride without a helmet in the city or for a jaunt down to the convenience store, but for commuting or pleasure riding it's a brain bucket for me.

Amoeba
Amoeba
I'm all about helmets... I was very glad to be wearing one when a truck slammed into the back of me. smile I can't understand the logic of not wearing one simply to feel the wind in your hair. get a car, roll down your windows and stick your head out if you want to feel the wind. It's safer that way.

with out a doubt, you are safer with a helmet than with out.

Feel the power of moronism... www.hugemoron.com
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
I have been riding for 30 years, no crash....yet, but I always wear the full face helmet, gloves, boots and total coverage even though my bike is only a 250 and I don't go on long trips. My brother who has a LOT more miles than me (He's an Iron Butt) did crash once and the chin of his full helmet cracked, but his face was OK. That convinced me to ditch the little helmet I was using and get the big one. My state reversed their helmet law a few years ago, but I am too fond of my head to ride without protection.

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
I love the responses and that everyone is so open and are relating experiences. Thank you for sharing.

F
froggie0424
Unregistered
froggie0424
Unregistered
F
I'm a pretty new rider, but I definitely wear a helmet every time. I know two people that have been pretty messed up in accidents, and they might not have been as bad had they been wearing helmets. They are the reminder, I guess.

I have to admit that I am more sporadic about wearing other safety gear. Damn, it's hot in Florida in the summer!! I think I've been motivated by FrankJBN though.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.