Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
Manisha Pal, Rain_2014, EmmaIsherwood, fit4fashion, ashjoielee
57314 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57314 Members
417 Forums
113293 Topics
803885 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 615
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 383
Jana - Creativity Editor 289
Beetlemess 286
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 80
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 61
Dorcy 58
Nancy Roussy 52
Mona - Astronomy 47
Susan - Meditation Editor 47
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#295108 - 02/26/07 07:12 PM Re: Are you writing your novel this year? [Re: Vance Today in History Ed]
joanj Offline
Koala

Loc: Texas
Does anyone have thoughts on how to get an agent? I completed 3 romance novels many years ago and just sent them off to publishers. got back some nice responses but "they aren't for us". At least they did respond-lol.

I wouldn't want to try the cold call approach to a publisher again but have no idea how to get an agent either.

How about writer's groups? any thoughts on whether they are helpful or not? I'm talking about groups like Romance Writers of America or Mystery WRiters of America type groups. I was part of a small writers group once and we just sat around patting each other on the back but not much real criticism.

Joan

Add Re: Are you writing your novel this year? to Twitter Add Re: Are you writing your novel this year? to Facebook Add Re: Are you writing your novel this year? to MySpace Add Re: Are you writing your novel this year? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Are you writing your novel this year? Add Re: Are you writing your novel this year? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Are you writing your novel this year? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Are you writing your novel this year? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Are you writing your novel this year? to Reddit
#295195 - 02/27/07 01:25 AM Re: Are you writing your novel this year? [Re: joanj]
elle Offline
Koala

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
You have to weigh up the benefits of membership to a group like the Romance Writers of America against the cost (time and money) of the membership. What do they offer exclusively to members? Manuscript assessments? Contract vetting? Timely industry news and information that will actually be useful to you? Reduced rates for conventions or festivals?

Make a list of pros and cons for each group you're thinking of joining, which will give you a better idea of whether it is worth it.

I'll do a series of articles on agents shortly, but the process is basically the same as submitting to publishers. Research the agents in your genre. Make a list of the ones who accept unsolicited submissions. Make a note of the authors they represent and look at those books to make sure you're not sending your work to someone who "never" considers that sort of thing (though "never say never"). Check their submission guidelines and follow them to the letter.

Add Re: Are you writing your novel this year? to Twitter Add Re: Are you writing your novel this year? to Facebook Add Re: Are you writing your novel this year? to MySpace Add Re: Are you writing your novel this year? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Are you writing your novel this year? Add Re: Are you writing your novel this year? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Are you writing your novel this year? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Are you writing your novel this year? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Are you writing your novel this year? to Reddit
#299270 - 03/15/07 06:14 AM How do you get an agent?
elle Offline
Koala

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I thought I'd bring this question into its own thread...

This week's article starts the series on agents with a look at whether you really need an agent, or whether you could be your own agent:

Do you need a literary agent?

Edited by elleCreatEd (03/15/07 06:21 AM)

Add How do you get an agent? to Twitter Add How do you get an agent? to Facebook Add How do you get an agent? to MySpace Add How do you get an agent? to Del.icio.us Digg How do you get an agent? Add How do you get an agent? to Yahoo My Web Add How do you get an agent? to Google Bookmarks Add How do you get an agent? to Stumbleupon Add How do you get an agent? to Reddit

Moderator:  Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
New game - Quote it
by Jana - Creativity Editor
Creativity
Today at 08:30 PM
Game - The Sandwich
by Rayna - Depression Editor
Depression
Today at 08:24 PM
Preparing Your Home for SAD
Depression
Today at 07:07 PM
What Are You Proud of Today?
Depression
Today at 06:39 PM
Word From Last Letter Game
Contests & Sweepstakes
Today at 06:09 PM
Replace one word (Music Titles)
Comedy Movies
Today at 06:09 PM
Music ABC game
Pop Music
Today at 06:06 PM
Name a Classic Toy Game
Creativity
Today at 06:00 PM
Fall Fun Word Game
by "Rosie"
Investing
Today at 04:45 PM
New game
by "Rosie"
History
Today at 04:32 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 86 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.