Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
elizabethgoss41, astrovalley, cory455, marger, simplicityshines
57415 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57416 Members
417 Forums
113479 Topics
805666 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 07:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 433
Beetlemess 151
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 128
Jana - Creativity Editor 115
Nancy Roussy 96
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 94
Mona - Astronomy 47
Susan - Meditation Editor 46
Sandra Investing/HFinance 36
Dianne W - Editor 24
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#297939 - 03/09/07 12:24 AM What does fiction mean to you?
elle Offline
Koala

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
What does fiction mean to you? Is it meant to be entertainment, or should it be used as a vehicle for waking people up, conveying horrific information that many would not normally choose to know about? Sometimes one, sometimes the other? Or something in between?

I've been thinking about these questions lately. I have seen Schindler's List and American History X three times each and been deeply moved by both movies, and yet I walked out of Syriana a third of the way through, unable to watch any more. I know that one of the aforementioned movies is not fiction, and another is inspired by a memoir, but lately I've been left with a feeling that my fiction sensibility has been abused, with too many people trying to tell me stories that are really news casts on how awful the world has become. I'm wary of films that are nominated for Oscars now, because so often this seems to be a criteria for the award. We're overdosing on reality nowadays, and I worry that fiction will be the casualty.

Alerting the world to injustice and other serious problems is admirable. But one of the tenets of fiction is escapism and entertainment. A story can also make a difference to a reader simply by passing on messages of hope, and viewpoints that are positive and uplifting.

If it's well written, too, it has the right to be a memorable book.

Do you write to escape, or do you write to change the world? Or something in between?

Add What does fiction mean to you? to Twitter Add What does fiction mean to you? to Facebook Add What does fiction mean to you? to MySpace Add What does fiction mean to you? to Del.icio.us Digg What does fiction mean to you? Add What does fiction mean to you? to Yahoo My Web Add What does fiction mean to you? to Google Bookmarks Add What does fiction mean to you? to Stumbleupon Add What does fiction mean to you? to Reddit
#298784 - 03/13/07 08:28 AM Re: What does fiction mean to you? [Re: elle]
Vance Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf

Loc: Gloversville, New York
Actually, I think I write to live vicariously through the main characters.

One novel I am working on is about a pastor who builds rescue missions all over the globe to help people and try to bring them to the Lord. In this book I am writing it is mainly focusing on one mission which is in a troubled city that is run by a drug dealer, basically and he is the leader of a powerful gang and the pastor runs into trouble while trying to build the mission and the twist is, that when he was a kid, he lived in this city and was a part of the gang with the same leader still running it and he doesn't know who the pastor is, but will find out.

It is my dream to do the same thing. Maybe not all around the world but in the city where I live. To build a rescue mission to help people who are homeless, jobless, or just plain lost.

Another novel in the works is about professional wrestling and focuses on one wrestler who is new to the organization and takes it by storm. That was another dream of mine. To be a professional wrestler.

So as I said, I believe I write these books to live out my dreams of sorts

Add Re: What does fiction mean to you? to Twitter Add Re: What does fiction mean to you? to Facebook Add Re: What does fiction mean to you? to MySpace Add Re: What does fiction mean to you? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: What does fiction mean to you? Add Re: What does fiction mean to you? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: What does fiction mean to you? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: What does fiction mean to you? to Stumbleupon Add Re: What does fiction mean to you? to Reddit

Moderator:  Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
facial hair
by Nancy Roussy
Beauty Basics
Today at 07:12 PM
What Part of You Do You Love?
by Nancy Roussy
Beauty Basics
Today at 07:05 PM
Plastic Surgery & Perfection
by Nancy Roussy
Beauty Basics
Today at 04:32 PM
Caroline Herschel
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Today at 02:04 PM
In what countries is surrogacy legal?
by stephenoneal28
Adoption
Today at 01:20 PM
Fall Fun Word Game
by Jana - Creativity Editor
Investing
Today at 12:23 PM
Use Water to reduce wrinkles
by Nancy Roussy
Beauty Basics
Today at 12:05 PM
What do you Have for Breakfast?
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Low Carb
Today at 11:45 AM
Photos to Replicate Paintings
Photography
Today at 10:46 AM
What Yoga did you Do Today?
Yoga
Today at 10:38 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
0 registered (), 119 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.