Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
jklmno065445, Manisha Pal, Rain_2014, EmmaIsherwood, fit4fashion
57317 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57317 Members
417 Forums
113298 Topics
804040 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 719
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 392
Jana - Creativity Editor 286
Beetlemess 286
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 78
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 59
Dorcy 59
Mona - Astronomy 49
Linu 47
Susan - Meditation Editor 47
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#290665 - 02/04/07 02:57 PM Book Club....another go?
KarynJ Offline
Gecko

Loc: Germany
I tried to do a book club last July, but nobody seemed to be interested. Perhaps summer is not the best time to do these things. So, what I would like to know is, would anyone be interested in doing a book discussion for March? We can go with my last pick - The Virgin's Lover by Philippa Gregory - or we can go with something else. I'm open to suggestions. Should we go with an English classic? Should we do Shakespeare? A.S. Byatt's Possession might be an interesting choice (and it's a wonderful book). I want to know what you think!

I would like to get this set up as soon as possible, to give people time to find the book. Not to mention, I would need time to acquire it, if I don't already have it.

If I have at least one interested person, I'll go forward with it. Tbunny - interested? Anyone else? cool

Edited by KarynJ (02/04/07 06:39 PM)

Add Book Club....another go? to Twitter Add Book Club....another go? to Facebook Add Book Club....another go? to MySpace Add Book Club....another go? to Del.icio.us Digg Book Club....another go? Add Book Club....another go? to Yahoo My Web Add Book Club....another go? to Google Bookmarks Add Book Club....another go? to Stumbleupon Add Book Club....another go? to Reddit
#290707 - 02/04/07 10:57 PM Re: Book Club....another go? [Re: KarynJ]
joanj Offline
Koala

Loc: Texas
I would be interested in getting in on the discussion. Maybe you could come up with 2-3 choices and we could vote. I was an English Major in college and I think Shakespeare or an English classic might be hard for some to get into.

I used to read Philippa Gregory a lot but I'm not familiar with the other book you mentioned. In recent years, I've read mostly mysteries or non-fiction.

I used to love my lit classes where we discussed books and haven't had time to do a book club before.

Keep me posted.

Joan

Add Re: Book Club....another go? to Twitter Add Re: Book Club....another go? to Facebook Add Re: Book Club....another go? to MySpace Add Re: Book Club....another go? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Book Club....another go? Add Re: Book Club....another go? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Book Club....another go? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Book Club....another go? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Book Club....another go? to Reddit
#290770 - 02/05/07 08:44 AM Re: Book Club....another go? [Re: joanj]
KarynJ Offline
Gecko

Thanks for your input, Joan. I agree that Shakespeare or the classics might be difficult, but I thought I would throw the idea out there in case that might interest anyone. I'm perfectly happy doing contemporary fiction!

A.S. Byatt's Possession, which I mentioned in my initial post, is a bit...academic. That might pose a bit of a problem too. But I think everyone who wants to participate can handle it if they give it a careful reading.

Let me come up with some choices and I'll post a poll on here.

Add Re: Book Club....another go? to Twitter Add Re: Book Club....another go? to Facebook Add Re: Book Club....another go? to MySpace Add Re: Book Club....another go? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Book Club....another go? Add Re: Book Club....another go? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Book Club....another go? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Book Club....another go? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Book Club....another go? to Reddit
#290778 - 02/05/07 09:13 AM Re: Book Club....another go? [Re: KarynJ]
KarynJ Offline
Gecko

Okay, since I have apparently not been able to figure out how to post a poll to this thing (despite following directions), here are 3 choices I came up with. Feel free to come up with your own. I would like to make a decision on the book by February 15, in order to give everyone time to order a copy. Once we decide what title we want, I will post a Book Club page with a link to where you can purchase the book.

If you need more information about any of these titles, just feel free to look them up on amazon.com:

The 199 Steps - Michel Faber

Katherine - Anya Seton

I, Elizabeth - Rosalind Miles

#290853 - 02/05/07 05:59 PM Re: Book Club....another go? [Re: KarynJ]
Tbunny Offline
Gecko

Loc: Ohio, USA
I'm in!
I think my preference would be (although any would be fine):

1. 199 Steps (for no good reason other than Whitby on the cover)
2. I Elizabeth
3. Katherine

If we did "I Elizabeth" we could always read it, then see the movie and compare them.

#290862 - 02/05/07 07:28 PM Re: Book Club....another go? [Re: Tbunny]
KarynJ Offline
Gecko

And Whitby is precisely the reason why I am interested in doing 199 Steps! They were selling that book absolutely EVERYWHERE when I was there.

Of course, Bram Stoker's Dracula is inspired by Whitby too, but I don't think that's a particularly English book.

#291132 - 02/07/07 10:49 AM Re: Book Club....another go? [Re: KarynJ]
Rachel_SpanishCult Offline
Jellyfish

Loc: Jaen, Spain
I'm in too, 199 steps looks good I've just read the reviews on amazon.
Waiting to hear your final choice.

#291206 - 02/07/07 06:02 PM Re: Book Club....another go? [Re: Rachel_SpanishCult]
KarynJ Offline
Gecko

Well, so far that seems to be the preferred title. I'll let you know in another week or so. I posted about this on my latest newsletter, so I'm hoping to get some more people involved.

#291243 - 02/07/07 08:42 PM Re: Book Club....another go? [Re: KarynJ]
Stephanie Austin Offline
Shark

Loc: Washington DC
I might be interested, and I'm always looking for something new to read! Can you post a link to info about 199 steps here? I found it on Amazon, but can't seem to find any reviews or info.....

#291337 - 02/08/07 07:02 AM Re: Book Club....another go? [Re: Stephanie Austin]
KarynJ Offline
Gecko

Sian, tired of nightmares in which she meets a grisly end, decides she needs to get out more. Joining an archaeological dig at Whitby Abbey, she uncovers a mystery involving a long-hidden murder. Faber's novella is in turn thriller, romance, ghost story and meditation on the nature of sincerity.

Found here:
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Asha - Scot./Eng. Culture 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Replace one word... (new game)
by Rick - Funny Flicks
Comedy Movies
Yesterday at 07:31 PM
Replace one word (Music Titles)
by Rick - Funny Flicks
Comedy Movies
Yesterday at 07:31 PM
Final Giggleween post: Army of Darkness!
by Rick - Funny Flicks
Comedy Movies
Yesterday at 07:20 PM
What did you SPEND money on today?
by Nancy Roussy
Frugal Living
Yesterday at 05:40 PM
What Is Space Weather? *new article*
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Yesterday at 04:50 PM
Word From Last Letter Game
by "Rosie"
Contests & Sweepstakes
Yesterday at 04:24 PM
First Letter-Last Letter
by "Rosie"
Attention Deficit Disorder
Yesterday at 04:08 PM
Cosmic Halloween Tour . . . If you dare
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Yesterday at 03:51 PM
Ogden garden verse game
by xmeecosmic
Container Gardening
Yesterday at 02:00 PM
Daily World Peace Group Meditation
by Susan - Meditation Editor
Meditation
Yesterday at 12:40 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
0 registered (), 77 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.