Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
Bruceox1962, Kelly Z, Arca Decks, arrowproject, Ashley Jessica
56564 Registered Users
Forum Stats
56565 Members
417 Forums
111440 Topics
785973 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Beetlemess 236
Nancy Roussy 171
loongdragon 139
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 139
Rosie 66 130
James Andrew 99
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 89
Allyson - USACook/HomeCook 55
Jilly 53
Lestie4containergardens 52
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#290285 - 02/01/07 03:32 AM Boring Baby Names?
Nancy - Baby Names Editor Offline
Parakeet

Loc: USA
Are there any 'boring' baby names you'd never consider giving your children because they're just too tame (in your opinion)?

Maybe...
Anne, Emma, Jill, Mary, Sue?
Allan, Ed, John, Mark, Steve?

If you do think of certain names as being 'boring,' what makes them boring to you -- simplicity? overuse?

Edited by Nancy R Callahan (02/01/07 03:33 AM)

Add Boring Baby Names? to Twitter Add Boring Baby Names? to Facebook Add Boring Baby Names? to MySpace Add Boring Baby Names? to Del.icio.us Digg Boring Baby Names? Add Boring Baby Names? to Yahoo My Web Add Boring Baby Names? to Google Bookmarks Add Boring Baby Names? to Stumbleupon Add Boring Baby Names? to Reddit
#296612 - 03/04/07 09:30 PM Re: Boring Baby Names? [Re: Nancy - Baby Names Editor]
Parakeet

Well, to answer my own question (and to get things rolling!), Anne and John are names I could never use--either as first or as middle names.

Why? Two reasons -- they're common, and they're short. I just tend to prefer names that aren't as well known and that have 2 or 3 syllables.

(Unfortunately, Anne and John are both are also family names for me, so taking these two out of the running makes it that much harder to incorporate family names into the mix...)

Add Re: Boring Baby Names? to Twitter Add Re: Boring Baby Names? to Facebook Add Re: Boring Baby Names? to MySpace Add Re: Boring Baby Names? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Boring Baby Names? Add Re: Boring Baby Names? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Boring Baby Names? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Boring Baby Names? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Boring Baby Names? to Reddit
#305786 - 04/08/07 05:58 AM Re: Boring Baby Names? [Re: Nancy - Baby Names Editor]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Names that are too overused lose their spark for me for sure.
Their are names I simply don't like, they just don't appeal to me. I would never name a child Ed or Tom or Joan to name a few. They are fine names, but just don't appeal to me personally.
I used to adore extremely unusual names, but now I have gone to liking traditional names (that aren't overused).

Add Re: Boring Baby Names? to Twitter Add Re: Boring Baby Names? to Facebook Add Re: Boring Baby Names? to MySpace Add Re: Boring Baby Names? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Boring Baby Names? Add Re: Boring Baby Names? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Boring Baby Names? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Boring Baby Names? to Stumbleupon Add Re: Boring Baby Names? to Reddit
#308816 - 04/22/07 08:53 PM Re: Boring Baby Names? [Re: ]
Parakeet

Originally Posted By: pinkhighlighter
I used to adore extremely unusual names, but now I have gone to liking traditional names (that aren't overused).

How funny -- I've gone through this exact sort of perspective-shift. smile

I used to love totally off-the-wall names, but now I realize I liked them not because they were good names, but because they were novelties.

My current tastes are a lot like yours -- I like names that are established, but not very popular.

#308836 - 04/22/07 11:37 PM Re: Boring Baby Names? [Re: Nancy - Baby Names Editor]
babyquacker Offline
Chipmunk

Loc: Maryland
There are names that I would not give my children, not because I find them boring but because they hold bad memories for me. They might remind me of someone's name or a name that was made fun of in school.

Tom, Dick, Harry, Peter

An interesting observation that I've found is that certain names set up children for certain behavior, successes, failures, popularity, even sports and educational abilites.

Michael was an archangel - but was a militant ...many Michaels are a little devilish

Kyle is a very studious name and most Kyles make good grades and very successful. Look at Kyle on the TV show, "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?" Most adults pick him every show. wink

Well, those are a couple of examples. I named one son Jonathan, meaning "the fair one". He is definitely fair, balanced, good student, self sufficient, independent. Most Jonathans I know are much the same.

Just my observations. It is funny how our childhood influences our ideas as adults. smile

Trish

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Sandwich du jour
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Sandwiches
53 seconds ago
What Movie Did You See Yesterday?
by Grace - Mystery Movies
Mystery Movies
3 minutes 4 seconds ago
What My Spirituality Is!
by Debbie-SpiritualityEditor
Spirituality
10 minutes 40 seconds ago
Happy Easter!
Meditation
19 minutes 27 seconds ago
The Gifts of ADD
Attention Deficit Disorder
20 minutes 56 seconds ago
Dumpster Diving
Frugal Living
22 minutes 6 seconds ago
Happy Easter!
Spirituality
22 minutes 40 seconds ago
What is your all-time favorite Indian dish & why??
Indian Food
28 minutes 26 seconds ago
Remarkable Reads
by Valerie Hispanic Culture
Hispanic Culture
Today at 07:42 AM
Sex in the Garden
by Lestie4containergardens
Container Gardening
Today at 06:38 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
3 registered (Connie - ADD/Sandwiches, Izeigo, 1 invisible), 65 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.