Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
KeithB18, Bella Marie, Glady, rani singh, Alycia cullern
57339 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57340 Members
417 Forums
113325 Topics
804643 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 870
Beetlemess 454
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 323
Jana - Creativity Editor 319
Dorcy 64
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 60
Sandra Investing/HFinance 60
Susan - Meditation Editor 46
Mona - Astronomy 46
Dianne W - Editor 40
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#288300 - 01/18/07 03:17 PM soldering can anyone help please?
prism Offline

I am having problems with soldering sterling silver.

I have hard solder strip
and borax

solder paste (hard)

I have 2 options for torches
a sivert 2.kw torch
a 1300 pen torch.used for lighting barbeques as well)

I am trying to solder a silver collet to a pendant.

can anyone help as I can't melt the solder and the silver is going black each time so I am having to pickle them. I feel at my witts end with it and in a tearing my ...hair out kinda mood lol.

Please help

thank you

Add soldering can anyone help please? to Twitter Add soldering can anyone help please? to Facebook Add soldering can anyone help please? to MySpace Add soldering can anyone help please? to Del.icio.us Digg soldering can anyone help please? Add soldering can anyone help please? to Yahoo My Web Add soldering can anyone help please? to Google Bookmarks Add soldering can anyone help please? to Stumbleupon Add soldering can anyone help please? to Reddit
#288410 - 01/19/07 11:40 AM Re: soldering can anyone help please? [Re: prism]
DJCNOR Offline
Jellyfish

Loc: Norwich, Norfolk, UK
I think that the temperatue of your torch may be too low. Do you know the melting point of your solder? Have you adjusted your torch so that you have the hottest flame and are using the hottest part of it? There's an inner blue flame, and you want to be using the end tip of this for your soldering. You will probably also need to pre-heat your piece before you bring the solder over to it. You paint the solder paste where the joint will be, heat up the area with your torch, and keep bringing the solder over toward the joint. It should move into the joint pretty much on its own when the temperatures are correct.

One excellent site for learning about jewelry making in general is www.ganoskin.com.

DJC in Norwich, UK

Add Re: soldering can anyone help please? to Twitter Add Re: soldering can anyone help please? to Facebook Add Re: soldering can anyone help please? to MySpace Add Re: soldering can anyone help please? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: soldering can anyone help please? Add Re: soldering can anyone help please? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: soldering can anyone help please? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: soldering can anyone help please? to Stumbleupon Add Re: soldering can anyone help please? to Reddit
#288465 - 01/19/07 06:06 PM Re: soldering can anyone help please? [Re: prism]
Crisfra Offline
Parakeet

Loc: Davis, California
I agree. Although I have spoken to several people who swear they do most of their soldering with those small torches, I have never been successful with them (unless I'm only soldering closed a jump ring, or something equally small).

You need enough heat to quickly get the solder to the flow into the joint so you can remove the flame quickly and avoid the firescale, too.

I use the Little Torch a lot, which does provide enough heat. Mine uses propane, although I'd prefer a different gas and will eventually switch.

Best of luck! smile

Chris

Add Re: soldering can anyone help please? to Twitter Add Re: soldering can anyone help please? to Facebook Add Re: soldering can anyone help please? to MySpace Add Re: soldering can anyone help please? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: soldering can anyone help please? Add Re: soldering can anyone help please? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: soldering can anyone help please? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: soldering can anyone help please? to Stumbleupon Add Re: soldering can anyone help please? to Reddit
#288491 - 01/19/07 08:08 PM Re: soldering can anyone help please? [Re: Crisfra]
prism Offline

Thank You!:-) for the help I am going to have to leave the forum howver as the forum refuses toa llow me to post with a firewall.

Thank you all

I wish you well
Bye

Edited by JewelryMaking (01/22/07 06:01 PM)

#288843 - 01/22/07 06:00 PM Re: soldering can anyone help please? [Re: prism]
Crisfra Offline
Parakeet

Loc: Davis, California
OT note: If anyone else seems to have a problem with their firewall, please let me know. I run one myself and have not had any problems, but if there is something going on for some folks, we'll work to get it resolved.

-Chris

Edited by JewelryMaking (01/22/07 06:02 PM)

#294998 - 02/26/07 12:37 PM Re: soldering can anyone help please? [Re: prism]
Hila_Fishler Offline

Hi,
Spread the borax on the jewelry, and then add the solder strip/ soldering paste. Heat the surface that you need to solder and only then focus on the solder area with the torch flame for a few seconds, until the solder spread on all the soldering area.
The hard solder needs high temperature or heating it longer time.
After soldering immerse the jewelry in citric in order to clean the borax.

Good Luck,
Hila
Pasternak Findings - Jewelry Findings

Moderator:  Susan - Jewelry Making 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Replace one word (Music Titles)
by Beetlemess
Comedy Movies
10 minutes 34 seconds ago
Shopping at Costco Game
by Beetlemess
Sandwiches
14 minutes 8 seconds ago
First Letter-Last Letter
by Beetlemess
Attention Deficit Disorder
19 minutes 23 seconds ago
Music ABC game
by Beetlemess
Pop Music
20 minutes 50 seconds ago
Word From Last Letter Game
by Beetlemess
Contests & Sweepstakes
55 minutes 50 seconds ago
Shopping at Walmart Game
by Beetlemess
Home Finance
56 minutes 54 seconds ago
Cosmic Halloween Tour . . . If you dare
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Today at 07:48 AM
Ogden garden verse game
by xmeecosmic
Container Gardening
Today at 07:25 AM
Star-gazing – Seeing in Dim Light *new*
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Today at 06:05 AM
Game - The Sandwich
by "Rosie"
Depression
Today at 04:59 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 112 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.