logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Parakeet
Parakeet
My hubby and I both have sensory issues. I've never grown out of mine...

My son has some sensory issues as well but none of them are having a negative impact on his life--I don't believe working with an OT is necessary. They're little "quirks" that we're perfectly fine dealing with...

It's important to know that gifted kids (and adults) often have sensory issues....

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
Koala
We had a wonderful group come in and talk to teachers about sensory overload. To demonstrate what sensory overload might feel like, they took each teacher individually into a small room, put a desk in the center, put a "teacher" in the front of the room, and then a dozen other people started talking, singing, and clanging things in very close proximity. Then the teacher had to try and focus on the "lesson" and answer questions. NONE of them could manage.

S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
Quote:
My hubby and I both have sensory issues. I've never grown out of mine...

My son has some sensory issues as well but none of them are having a negative impact on his life--I don't believe working with an OT is necessary. They're little "quirks" that we're perfectly fine dealing with...

It's important to know that gifted kids (and adults) often have sensory issues....

I read a book by A Jean Ayres called Sensory Integration and the Child after hearing a presentation from an S.I. trained therapist at my son's early intervention center.

She said that all children go through periods of sensory integration transitions, and of course many bright and talented children can have long lasting difficulties with motor planning, periods of vestibular disorientation, noise or tactile sensitivity.

Something as simple as swinging in old fashioned swings at the park can ease some discomfort caused by sensory issues, and some of the sensory integration therapy I've seen is very playful. One therapist told me that children with S.I. issues often crave activities they find in their OT sessions.

Thanks for speaking up for all children who have these issues!

Pam W
SE of Seattle

Gifted and Talented Children - Special Needs
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art33980.asp

Pamela Wilson - Children with Special Needs Editor
Visit the Children with Special Needs Website
S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
Quote:
We had a wonderful group come in and talk to teachers about sensory overload. To demonstrate what sensory overload might feel like, they took each teacher individually into a small room, put a desk in the center, put a "teacher" in the front of the room, and then a dozen other people started talking, singing, and clanging things in very close proximity. Then the teacher had to try and focus on the "lesson" and answer questions. NONE of them could manage.

Wow! That must have been a memorable event in the lives of those teachers. I wish I had some training like that when my children were small.

When my son was in second grade he was being pulled out of his mainstream classroom to get help with one subject in the 'resource room' but was not making any progress.

I happened to walk past that classroom while volunteering for the PTA and noticed that there were five small groups going on in the room, and my son sat frozen at his desk staring at a worksheet like a zombie.

I had thought he was having trouble with transitions from his classroom to the resource room and back - also true - but at that moment it could not have been more obvious if a cartoon balloon reading 'sensory overload' had floated above his head.

In his mainstream classroom, there were three groups working during that 'group time' - quietly, and he did focus and participate again. The IEP team had suggested he had reached a 'plateau' but when he was taken out of the distracting room, he had a 'learning spurt.'

His teacher was delighted, and so was he. I did not mention that I had been thinking he had reached a 'plateau', too. (((blush)))

Pam W
SE of Seattle

Is Diversity Like A New Box of Crayons?
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art5144.asp

Pamela Wilson - Children with Special Needs Editor
Visit the Children with Special Needs Website
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  SNC_Editor_Pam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.