Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
Manisha Pal, Rain_2014, EmmaIsherwood, fit4fashion, ashjoielee
57314 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57314 Members
417 Forums
113288 Topics
803811 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 604
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 383
Beetlemess 279
Jana - Creativity Editor 277
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 80
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 61
Dorcy 57
Nancy Roussy 53
Mona - Astronomy 48
Linu 47
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#232272 - 10/14/06 12:38 AM Re: Sensory Discomfort in Children
JanZeiger Offline
Parakeet

Loc: Central Florida
My hubby and I both have sensory issues. I've never grown out of mine...

My son has some sensory issues as well but none of them are having a negative impact on his life--I don't believe working with an OT is necessary. They're little "quirks" that we're perfectly fine dealing with...

It's important to know that gifted kids (and adults) often have sensory issues....

Visit Me on SQUIDOO
Usborne Books for Kids

Add Re: Sensory Discomfort in Children to Twitter Add Re: Sensory Discomfort in Children to Facebook Add Re: Sensory Discomfort in Children to MySpace Add Re: Sensory Discomfort in Children to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Sensory Discomfort in Children Add Re: Sensory Discomfort in Children to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Sensory Discomfort in Children to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Sensory Discomfort in Children to Stumbleupon Add Re: Sensory Discomfort in Children to Reddit
#232273 - 10/14/06 01:06 AM Re: Sensory Discomfort in Children
Lynn_B Offline
Koala

Loc: Texas, US
We had a wonderful group come in and talk to teachers about sensory overload. To demonstrate what sensory overload might feel like, they took each teacher individually into a small room, put a desk in the center, put a "teacher" in the front of the room, and then a dozen other people started talking, singing, and clanging things in very close proximity. Then the teacher had to try and focus on the "lesson" and answer questions. NONE of them could manage.

Add Re: Sensory Discomfort in Children to Twitter Add Re: Sensory Discomfort in Children to Facebook Add Re: Sensory Discomfort in Children to MySpace Add Re: Sensory Discomfort in Children to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Sensory Discomfort in Children Add Re: Sensory Discomfort in Children to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Sensory Discomfort in Children to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Sensory Discomfort in Children to Stumbleupon Add Re: Sensory Discomfort in Children to Reddit
#232274 - 10/17/06 07:48 AM Re: Sensory Discomfort in Children
SNC_Editor_Pam Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Loc: SE of Seattle
Quote:
My hubby and I both have sensory issues. I've never grown out of mine...

My son has some sensory issues as well but none of them are having a negative impact on his life--I don't believe working with an OT is necessary. They're little "quirks" that we're perfectly fine dealing with...

It's important to know that gifted kids (and adults) often have sensory issues....

I read a book by A Jean Ayres called Sensory Integration and the Child after hearing a presentation from an S.I. trained therapist at my son's early intervention center.

She said that all children go through periods of sensory integration transitions, and of course many bright and talented children can have long lasting difficulties with motor planning, periods of vestibular disorientation, noise or tactile sensitivity.

Something as simple as swinging in old fashioned swings at the park can ease some discomfort caused by sensory issues, and some of the sensory integration therapy I've seen is very playful. One therapist told me that children with S.I. issues often crave activities they find in their OT sessions.

Thanks for speaking up for all children who have these issues!

Pam W
SE of Seattle

Gifted and Talented Children - Special Needs
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art33980.asp

#232275 - 10/17/06 08:04 AM Re: Sensory Discomfort in Children
SNC_Editor_Pam Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Loc: SE of Seattle
Quote:
We had a wonderful group come in and talk to teachers about sensory overload. To demonstrate what sensory overload might feel like, they took each teacher individually into a small room, put a desk in the center, put a "teacher" in the front of the room, and then a dozen other people started talking, singing, and clanging things in very close proximity. Then the teacher had to try and focus on the "lesson" and answer questions. NONE of them could manage.

Wow! That must have been a memorable event in the lives of those teachers. I wish I had some training like that when my children were small.

When my son was in second grade he was being pulled out of his mainstream classroom to get help with one subject in the 'resource room' but was not making any progress.

I happened to walk past that classroom while volunteering for the PTA and noticed that there were five small groups going on in the room, and my son sat frozen at his desk staring at a worksheet like a zombie.

I had thought he was having trouble with transitions from his classroom to the resource room and back - also true - but at that moment it could not have been more obvious if a cartoon balloon reading 'sensory overload' had floated above his head.

In his mainstream classroom, there were three groups working during that 'group time' - quietly, and he did focus and participate again. The IEP team had suggested he had reached a 'plateau' but when he was taken out of the distracting room, he had a 'learning spurt.'

His teacher was delighted, and so was he. I did not mention that I had been thinking he had reached a 'plateau', too. (((blush)))

Pam W
SE of Seattle

Is Diversity Like A New Box of Crayons?
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art5144.asp

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  SNC_Editor_Pam 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Boston Bruins afghan pattern to crochet
by Melissa - Crochet Editor
Crochet
17 minutes 3 seconds ago
Shopping at Costco Game
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Sandwiches
Today at 07:38 AM
Nurture Can Improve Cortical Thickness in ADD
Attention Deficit Disorder
Today at 07:37 AM
First Letter-Last Letter
Attention Deficit Disorder
Today at 07:36 AM
Word From Last Letter Game
Contests & Sweepstakes
Today at 07:34 AM
Partial solar eclipse - Oct 23 2014
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Today at 06:42 AM
Replace one word (Music Titles)
by Dorcy
Comedy Movies
Today at 06:16 AM
Name some Angels & Their Meaning
by "Rosie"
Bible Basics
Today at 05:06 AM
Music ABC game
by "Rosie"
Pop Music
Today at 04:52 AM
What Did You Write Today?
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Fiction Writing
Today at 02:41 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
0 registered (), 75 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.