logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#560871 10/31/09 09:57 PM
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
I read a lot of older books and collect vintage magazines and diaries. One of the things I see a lot are women that chose a brand of skincare and cosmetics, not to mention a signature scent, and use that brand forever. This especially applied to women in the 20s-50s eras.

Now, I try new cosmetics a lot. I have a lipstick fetish and am always looking for new shades and packaging. Mascara, I use Maybelline. I have tried expensive mascaras and none of them beat Great Lash. It's a classic for a reason.

My grandmother never deviated from her Elizabeth Arden cosmetics. She would have been horrified if anyone had suggested she try something else. Very loyal, she was.

With skin care, I tend to stay with the same things mostly. I have used Noxema as my cleanser of choice since I was a teenager. I have tried other things but I just prefer the way Noxema makes my skin feel. For a toner, I use plain witch hazel(with mint leaves added to give it a better scent), and my moisturizer is usually Oil of Olay, although I sometimes switch to Avon Anew or a Clinique moisturizer.

Does anyone else have a brand they stay with? Or do you use what is on sale or looks tempting in the department store? Just curious.

Angie Fathera
Cosmetics
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I still love Noxzema for a cleanser, too! I have never found anything better or removing makeup or making me skin feel fresh.

But as far as makeup goes - I'm play-around type of gal. whatever tickles my fancy, though I used Covergirl for most of my teen life, (and had fantastic skin when I did!)

Right now I have fallen in love with MAC cosmetics (though they are horribly expensive!) My nails are exclusively OPI - I don't vary on that - their colors are just too posh and it stays on better than any other nail polish out there.

As far as perfume goes, I always recommend switching up every now and again. The nose becomes ennured to the scent one wears, and so you tend to put more and more on just to be able to smell it. While those poor souls around you are dying from being choked to death by the cloud of scent that follows you wherever you go!

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I am loyal to Great Lash mascara, too. I've tried other brands aver the years, but always come back. Since I was 16, 40 years ago, it's always done what it was supposed to do.

As to Noxzema, I love the scent. But my sister used it as her cleanser when we were teens and my Dad had to have a plumber come to clear the drain. It was plugged by what he called "white rock" aka Noxzema in the pipes. He had a name for it because it was such a common problem. So I only use it as a sun burn reliever.

I was loyal to Cover Girl foundation for years, until wrinkles became more of a problem than acne, LOL. Now I really like L'Oreal mineral makeup.

Gecko
Gecko
Yes there is one. Dickinsons' Witch Hazel. I use it as a toner and love it so much that I don't even consider any of the high end brands.

Nancy Welker
BellaOnline Yoga Editor

Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
Do you keep your toner in the refrigerator? I used to do that and keep saying I am going to start again because it is so refreshing.

Angie Fathera
Cosmetics
N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
For makeup I switch brands, I buy the colors that I think looks good. For my face products I used to stay with the same brand but since Nivea has discontinued what I was using I have been trying to find something for me so I keep on switching and will do it until I find the perfect brand for me (hoping they do not discontinue it after!!!!!). As for body and hair products I switch brands except for the body lotion but since my favorite was discontinued last year I am doing the same I am doing for my face.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.