Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
Rejection letters sting. After all, you invest so much of yourself in the process that rejection feels personal. Share your rejection experiences, and let us know what you did to cope. Weathering the Dreaded Rejection Letter

Last edited by Corlia - Unemployment Editor; 04/23/14 05:07 PM.

Corlia Logsdon
Unemployment
Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
We actually use a template for our rejection letter. Thank you, but we have selected a candidate that was a better fit. I have sent out so many of these letters in the last month. It's particularly painful when a candidate has applied for several positions. I send out a letter for each position they applied for and didn't get. One candidate received three letters from me in the past two weeks.

In my agency we are required to get back to everyone who interviewed with the status of the position either through USPS, email or telephone. Do you think it's harder getting a phone call or a letter telling you that you didn't get the position?

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
Thanks for your insights, Diane. I can see how a candidate could be more discouraged by a form rejection letter if they received more than one. You've hinted at a good point too. Rejection is hard on both sides. Interviewing people and putting a face with a resume makes it more difficult for employers charged with sending out rejection letters. It is great though that your agency at least made the effort to communicate with everyone. While rejection stings, silence can be worse.

From an applicant's perspective, I would prefer to get a written rejection rather than a phone call, especially if I was very excited about the opportunity. From an employer's perspective, I have done both, and it is much less difficult to send a letter than talk with the person at that time.

At one time, it was recommended that rejected applicants contact the employer to ask what they might do to improve their prospects for future employment. I've done that a couple of times, and I did not get responses. That was discouraging. It felt as if they were saying I had nothing to offer. I'm certain now that it was more likely that they did not have time or may not have felt comfortable engaging in a discussion, but it was still embarrassing. It made me wonder if this could backfire and blow chances for future interviews. What are your thoughts on this?

Corlia Logsdon
Unemployment
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Sometimes I interview candidates and inwardly cringe when they respond. There are so many that I wish I could help. I can speak personally for me and how I operate. If it's an internal candidate, I talk to them as I walk them out. I tell them to feel free to call me sometime and we can talk about interviewing. There are so many external candidates I would love to help, but unfortunately I just don't have the time. I have, occasionally, given them my card and met with a few.

We interviewed six people today and I was doing my best to drop hints about how they can get more experience to increase their chances of getting hired. So many times I prompted for them to give more details.

I'm happy to say that there have been some employees who have gotten promotions after speaking with me, but also some that realized perhaps they should stop applying so much.

All this to say, it really depends on the HR person. I work LONG days because I spend a lot of time helping people so it's hard to get my work done. Get a feel for the interviewer and if they seem genuinely interested, ask for their card, give them a call. Don't stalk them, if they don't call back, but it's worth a try.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
I know what you mean Diane. While role-playing may seem corny to some, it can help candidates avoid those "foot in mouth" interview responses. Having a critical friend can give honest feedback on a mock interview is a good way to prepare.

It is wonderful of you to take the time to reach out and help people do better in future interviews! You must be a terrific HR professional to work with. smile

Corlia Logsdon
Unemployment
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Corlia, Thank you! I absolutely LOVE my job! Not to say that it's now without it's share of headaches, but I love helping people get to where they want to be in their career.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
C
C
Yes, the rejection letter or postcard is not something any job hunter wants to receive. But knowing that for every NO, there is a YES coming your way. If you give up, you will never get to your YES!

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Well said!

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
You made a very good point. Those who give up to early will never reach their goals.

Corlia Logsdon
Unemployment

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.