BellaOnline
Posted By: Peter - Wine POLL: Ever add ice to red wine? - 08/06/09 04:00 PM
Have you ever dropped an ice cube in your glass of red wine?

I did so today. Hot day having lunch by the water outside a pub with a glass of wine. Umm, it was a little warm. Added an ice cube, waited a minute and the wine tasted a lot better. As well as cool, it had more flavour.

What do you think?

Would you add ice to a glass of red wine?

Posted By: Tammy Menopause Re: POLL: Ever add ice to red wine? - 08/06/09 04:11 PM
After visiting several wineries up our way, we discovered that contrary to the past belief that red wines must always be served at room temperature, they do well with some chlling! It tends to bring out some wonderful flavours and aromas.

We also bought a "sleeve" that you can put in the freezer, then slip over your wine bottle to help keep it chilled while drinking. Works great for both white and red, especially in the heat.

Nice to see the rule book can be thrown out! Wine is best enjoyed without all the rigid so-called rules.

Tammy
Posted By: Wendy Tall One Re: POLL: Ever add ice to red wine? - 08/06/09 04:12 PM
I usually only add ice to wine if I have made sangria with it wink

However, I don't see why not, far as I know, reds are supposed to be chilled for a few minutes in the fridge before serving anyhow.
Posted By: "Rosie" Re: POLL: Ever add ice to red wine? - 08/06/09 04:25 PM
I Do smile
I do, especially in the warmer months or a sunny hot day. Not so much during the winter. I don't see why not if you're in the mood for it smile

Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Posted By: Don -- Softball Re: POLL: Ever add ice to red wine? - 08/11/09 03:52 PM
I rarely drink red wine (my home-brewed cider is my drink of choice), but when I do I drink it at room temperature. I don't like ice in drinks that usually have ice, so I'd have never thought to put ice in red wine.
Posted By: Angie Re: POLL: Ever add ice to red wine? - 08/23/09 10:47 PM
I had red wine at dinner tonight; it had been refrigerated so I didn't add any ice. It was Rioja Campo Viejo
I have been told that red wine is to be served at room temperature. Sometimes I prefer it cold (depends on the wine.)
Posted By: Angie Re: POLL: Ever add ice to red wine? - 08/23/09 11:54 PM
If refrigerated, I think you're supposed to let it stand for about 15 minutes before serving. I like it cool.
Posted By: Silverwolf Re: POLL: Ever add ice to red wine? - 08/24/09 01:43 AM
Yeah, I like having ruby port with ice in it.
Posted By: Peter - Wine Re: POLL: Ever add ice to red wine? - 08/24/09 10:55 AM
Originally Posted By: Lynne Chapman
I have been told that red wine is to be served at room temperature.

But what is meant by room temperature? Unless your dining room is air-conditioned to the same temperature throughout the year -- and mine isn't -- there is a difference between the height of summer and the depths of winter (when we have our heating on...)

I think room temperature rule dates from Victorian England and means don't serve the wine straight from the cold of the cellar. But you only have to look at 'Upstairs Downstairs' or other TV show set in those days to see from the clothes they are wearing that the dining room was not warm smile
Posted By: sundancer Re: POLL: Ever add ice to red wine? - 08/24/09 11:17 AM
I always ask. Some people like wine cold. I for one like my wine cold...and I have even had ice cubes in it.

Sundancer
www.mikessportingoods.ecrater.com
Quote:
I think room temperature rule dates from Victorian England and means don't serve the wine straight from the cold of the cellar.

Good point. smile
Posted By: Angie Re: POLL: Ever add ice to red wine? - 08/25/09 02:56 AM
The best thing to do is serve it the way you like it.
© BellaOnline Forums