BellaOnline
Face Powder - do you use pressed or loose powder? Or both?

For me, I use a combo of pressed foundation with SPF, and translucent loose powder. I apply both with a brush.

I really like my loose powders. My Clinique one is for daily wear and my Prescriptives Magic has lovely hints of shimmer for fun event wear and evenings.

I also am enjoying my new spray powder and think that would be nice for living in my purse. Loose powder doesn't travel well.
Hi, Jill. I no longer wear makeup but when I did, pressed powder worked best for me in the summer and loose powder in the winter. The pressed powder kept my oily skin looking good with all the humidity we experience here in Texas.
Hi Kimmie. Thanks for the info! It's true, pressed powder can work wonders against shiny faces when it's humid out.

If you don't wear makeup now, just wondering if you use those oil blotting papers? Or do you just not worry about it anymore? :-)
Well,believe it or not, the regime I used in my twenties and thirties have somehow gotten my oil glands under control. Every once in a while, I'll get a break out (very minor) but I just use my lava soap followed with witch hazel and Whala!. Back to pretty skin. Oh, yeah, I worry about my looks. Guess I still have a lil' vanity about myself even if I'm getting older. Bye and happy harvest.
HI,
When I was younger I used pressed powder after my foundation was dry. Now that I am over 50 I use a light dusting of loose powder. My skin is very dry so I use a tinted moisturizer 1st & let it dry before i dust on the loose powder with a brush. Have a nice night. Judy K.
Jilly,
Where is your photo? Miss it! smile
That's weird. My photo is poof - gone! Let me see about this.... smile
HA! Here's a new pic. Me in my mud mask. It's Origins Clear Improvement Charcoal Mask.

Ya like?
BTW, Kimmie, that glamor pic of you is incredible! You look stunning.
Kudos, Jilly! I don't think I could be so brave. You're an inspiration.
I use pressed powder.
I used both - now the powder I use is Mineral Powder (so - loose). It is the best thing I have done for my skin in a long time and I am getting compliments on my makeup.

I use Merle Norman loose powder. I love it. A cheaper alternative that provides a nice shimmer is corn silk.

Originally Posted By: Jilly
BTW, Kimmie, that glamor pic of you is incredible! You look stunning.

Thanks Jilly. I appreciate that. Thank God for good genes and a pair of beautiful parents. The salon I frequented, asked me to do a pictorial for their shop and this is what they made me up to look like. The girl who did the makeup could hardly believe how old I was at the time I did this photo. Once the hair was done and the makeup, they put me in a beautiful faux fur and whala! My skin is actually that nice all due to the regime I've followed and hold to since the age of 16. AGain, thank you.
I use liquid foundation -- then finish with pressed powder. Kimmie, you really are beautiful. You've got to tell us what that regime is.
Originally Posted By: daisybun
I use liquid foundation -- then finish with pressed powder. Kimmie, you really are beautiful. You've got to tell us what that regime is.

Hey daisy. What's going on girl? As far as the skin regime, when in high school, junk food was my way of dealing with pressures so I indulged heavily. It didn't ruin my shape but it did my face. I looked like "connect the dots" (seriously). So momma bear took me to a dermatologist and he said to her "she just has a oil gland problem". Duh! Doc, we kinda' get that....anyway, he suggested that I use, hold onto your hats here....Lava soap. Yes, the stuff that mechanics used to wash their oily, smutty hands. My mother thought he was crazy (at least that is what she told me) but we tried it. It took me from "connect-the-dot" face to wala! a smooth complexion. Now, as I am getting older, I use it only occasionally (like about four times in the summer months) when its really hot here in Texas and a couple of times in the winter months, when our home atmospheres really get dry with the heat on constantly. I only use a moisturizer under the eyes and where laugh lines can be created. Oh, yeah, don't forget the brow area. We ladies store a lot of emotional lines there (crying, cry fussing, mad laughing, laugh etc...). On occasion I'll use some witch hazel for flare ups smirk (adult acne) when I don't wanna deep cleanse and a beauty secret I've used that is really great with truth behind it is, a lil' lemon juice (from the lemon) dabbed on the index finger and applied under the eye and left on for about 30 seconds, then rinse away. These gets rid of dark circles, if you're faithful to it, (at least three times a week) or more if you're really dark under the eye, in a matter of a few weeks. wink

I put this tip out on the beauty and self forum somewhere a few months ago. It was somebody's beauty topic and there were rave reviews. Note: As far as using Lava soap, it can only be used by those of us who have very oily skin. The dry skin ladies, this will not be a good thing for you.

Grab a bar at the store, and lather it up pretty good. Apply to everywhere on your face except under the eyes and under the nose and leave on for about a minute. Rinse away. The secret seems to be an active ingredient in lava soap that immediately gets control of all oil substances and rids them and balances them at the same time. Kinda' like Dawn and oil in the dish water or how effective it can be with the oil, mechanics need to have washed off. No other soap can remove oil from a car like lava.

I don't know if it'll work for anyone else, but it's done wonders for me and now I've passed it on to my daughter's and their friends. Forget the high priced skin products. Use something natural and look for results.

Tip: people with oily skin tend to age slower. Thanks to God for giving me oily skin that I hated in high school but appreciate now. If you have dry skin, apply moisturizer every night and watch your skin begin to glow like us "oily-skinned" people.

Hope this helps and since its almost too late to plant bulbs for spring, stop in today and see what you can do at this late date. Happy harvest!
Personally, I prefer pressed powder. I believe it gives more coverage (which helps if you don't wear foundation or base) and it often can come with added benifits. My powder is Clarifying Cream Pressed Powder, by Clinique. It has benzoyl peroxide in it, which is a very pwowerful acne medication.
I use bare minerals, its healthier for your skin and it has sunblock built in so i never have to worry about not putting it on, plus it looks real natural and smooth
Hi, I am over 50 and my skin is more sensitive than dry, I have never been able to use powder at all, or any foundation containing powder. Makes me itch terribly. I have found the mineral type of makeup is very kind to me, I use it as often as I want and no skin irritation. It's talc that causes the trouble, it is a mineral closely related to asbestos and even when milled fine has sharp edges and is responsible for most all makeup/irritation issues.
I have been in love with loose powder for years but am not against the use of a pressed powder as long as it's applied with a brush. I'm currently using a loose powder by Loreal (I always get it wrong it's either true match or color match or something like that) and a pressed powder by Elf Cosmetics ($1).
When I was younger I used loose powder and found it was much better for my skin and I was able to achieve better coverage and a more natural look. I do not use any liquid or powder make up now that I am older - I prefer the natural look and like to allow my skin to breath. I think maybe using the loose powder for so many years helped my skin to stay healthier because it was easier to clean off at night.
I use liquid mineral make up and pressed mineral powder applied with a really soft fluffy brush. ( I love the brush! ) The powder is usually just in the summer. In the winter I use a moisture spray over my makeup.
I use pressed powder ontop of my foundation. I have only used loose a few times. Pressed is easier and more convenient for myself to use
I use bare minerals, that stuff works good
I use the bare minerals as well. The mineral veil, Fairly Light and Warmth are the other covers I use.

Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
The application process for pressed powder is the same as loose, only it is a bit easier and quicker. Just run your powder puff or sponge over the powder and apply to face. No special taps, tricks, or tilts necessary.I use it
It's true that pressed powder is just as easy to apply as loose powder when you are using a brush! Great reminder. :-)
I like loose powder it feels less stiff to me.
I recently returned to loose powder. I get to sample many products, because I own a cosmetics e-boutique. I was very impressed with the Cinema Secrets Loose Setting Powder(Ultralucent).

I thought loose powder was like for grandmothers. This is not your granny's loose powder. It blends easily and lasts for a longtime.

I am African American, so not looking like a zombie was a primary concern. I truly looked like an A-list actress. I had instant compliments.

It is one of the best selling products at SadittyBoutique. I use Rich Tan. I am pretty devoted to this product.
Oh really i used loose powders... but now i think i should use pressed powders.......

Drug rehab
I do prefer loose powders, but it also depends on the quality of the powder in question. The ones I like feel luxurious and silky going on, cover well, don't look too obviously made-up, and last all day.

A poorly formulated loose powder feels, instead of silky, 'powdery' or chalky even, and looks cakey around lines or pools in pores.
I just picked up a compact Almay pressed powder.
I thought it would help the face look younger lol
But it makes me look dead
I got a light/medium in color I don't know what to expect because i never wore it before
It didn't help any.;(
I look worse
Help!
Rosie, please go back to the store and return your purchase! Most drugstores expect you to bring them back if they don't work and are okay with it.

it sounds like you got a powder with ashen tones. Since we don't know anything about your skin tones and coloration, or your skin type (dry, oily, whatever), it is hard to advise you more specifically.

But please do return the dead-looking powder. smile

If you can find a Sephora you can try on powders before buying and even ask for samples for free of anything you like. Try the Bare Minerals or a powder by Clinique.

here is a sephora link that goes to their specials pages:
Sephora

You can also try things out at the Nordstrom's counters if there is one by you. Don't worry about bothering all the counter girls - that is what they are there for.

Try many different types and only buy the one you fall in love with.

If you really prefer drugstore brands, maybe someone else can advise you here? I don't like drugstore brands since i can't try them out first: i want to love what I buy, not merely 'like' it. otherwise it's a waste of money and sits in my drawers rotting. smile
Jilly thanks for the advice.
Whats the difference between pressed or loose powder?
im more of a pressed powder person
I have been using Merle Norman translucent loose for years and love it. It looks the most natural.
I use both,but,prefer pressed.
Pressed powder. Until this came out the only thing I had problems with while putting on makeup was the foundation and with that zero problem.
© BellaOnline Forums