BellaOnline
Posted By: Jilly Do you prefer lipsticks, glosses or stains? - 04/07/08 02:58 AM
What are people's favorite form of lip color? This week's article discusses the basic differences between sticks, glosses, stains and other forms of lip color.

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
I use lipstick, lipstain, and lip gloss, and find that lip gloss is the quickest and I love how it hides the fact that my lips are a tad dry.
I don't tend to use stains as I have a bunch of lip paints that i like. They do hide the dry lips part, and then I can put on gloss over it if i want more moisture. I use the Lip paints from Paula's Choice.

Some of the new stains by Tarte and Benefit looks pretty good though.
Lip glosses and Sticks are running neck and neck!

Or should I say Lip and Lip? laugh
I prefer glosses. wink
I think Lipfinity is a lip paint? Anyway, it's what I use, and have since it came out, I tried a couple other brands, but a lot of them kind of got crumb-y if that makes sense? over the course of a day.I have a small scar on my lip from a childhood injury and with regular lipsticks, unless I set my lipstick with powder which dried out my lips, it would bleed into the scar.
I don't wear lip gloss at all. When I was in highschool, I was wearing it one day, and a guy I had a crush on asked if I had pork chops for lunch and told me how much he liked pork chops. I was MORTIFIED and haven't worn lip gloss since! (I'm 36 now!)
Lipstick, usually the same shade by Loreal. I know, boring, but it looks good with everything:) I just haven't been able to get away with wearing lip gloss since high school (I'm 38).
I wear chapstick pretty much all the time because it's so dry here. I think I still have one actual lipstick in the house still, but even on special occasions I don't tend to wear it.
My lips are very pale and have a few freckles on them so I feel the need to wear lipstick. I wear two different shades of Loreal 620 and 799. Maybe it is Revlon that I wear. It is a gold case and they sell for about $9 at drugstores.
Shala, that is a hoot about the pork chops. Maybe this guy was actually flirting with you in a weird teen boy way (after all, he said he LIKED pork chops). smile

I have not tired the LipInfinity Lip Paint. I know exactly what you are talking about with the crumbly thing - i've had it happen with some brands. Paula's Choice is great - it doesn't roll or glop, and it doesn't go on unevenly like most of the lip paints tend to.

Using powder to set your lips is a great idea. Can you put gloss over it, or does that defeat the point, with your scar?
Posted By: M.B. Re: Do you prefer lipsticks, glosses or stains? - 04/11/08 12:44 AM
I have really good natural lip shape and coloring (they're rather full, well shaped, and rosy), and I despise makeup, so I use lip balm (Blistex Fruit Smoothies, SPF 15) when my lips feel dry. That's the only cosmetic item I own, though I guess Blistex is closer to a pharmaceutical than a cosmetic.
Trish, it's not boring to go with what works. smile Plus, you found a good brand, so why not stick to it?

If you did want to experiment, you could totally wear that same shade, but play around with different colored glosses to make the lipstick shade deeper or lighter as your mood hits you.

I am 39 (40 next week), so i know what you mean about the old lip glosses from high school. But if you have not looked for awhile, you might want to look at glosses again.

There are some lovely, sophisticated, grownup, non-sticky, non-glittery, non-rollerball, non-wet choices out there. Brands like Stila, Nars, Lorac, Dior, Clinique and Sephora are good places to start. Or Cargo if you prefer a gloss in a pot.
I use a lot of chapstick - I think I'm addicted!! When I go for color, I like to use a lip stain since the color lasts a really long time. It's SuperStay Lipcolor by Maybelline. It has a color component that you put on & wait a couple minutes, then you put a gloss on over the color.
Bonnie, both Revlon and L'Oreal are good brands at good price points, so that's great either way!

What colors are 620 and 799? And are your freckles orange or brown?
That's great about your pretty lips, Myrabeth! Everyone should be so lucky. So it sounds like the Fruit Smoothies are perfect for you and probably add a hint of shine, in addition to the comfort and nice scent.

It's also a smart thing about the SPF. All lip balm wearers should make sure their brand has an SPF 15 or better in it. Lips are very sensitive and our ozone levels are not getting any better. smile Keeping lips smooth and healthy will prevent those lines that come to lips with age. smile
For me, it depends on the overall look that I'm going for. If I want more coverage (color), then I go with lipstick. I love lipglosses, but the truth is they don't provide as much coverage as lipsticks or stains. I find that lip stains dry out my lips.
www.ethnic-beauty-central.com
Ooo, Jeanne, that sounds really pretty. I like the two part aspect of it - waiting for the stain to set, and then adding a nice gloss.

You are right; he great thing about stains is the Wash and Wear component - you apply it once and then you are really set for color for most of the day. smile
Hi BrownBeauty! I agree with you on the color coverage. I have olive toned skin, brown lips, brown eyes and brown hair, so light lipsticks and most glosses don't add a lot of color in my case. Which is sometimes just fine - I am usually into having a hint of color most of the time (since I work at home).

But when i go out, I almost always pick a deeper lipstick/paint color and then play over that with a gloss.

I don't wear lipstains but am interested in some of the new ones out there. They seem to have come a long way from the "magic marker" look. And i guess a gloss or lip balm over that would help with the dryness.

Glosses, with a touch of coral color and yummy tangerine flavor.

:-) Cate
MMM, nice, Cate. I love coral glosses.

I can really only wear peaches and coral blush/lipstick in the wintertime when I am paler (I get really brown in the summer, even with my constant hats and sunscreen). But coral glosses are always easy to wear since the coverage is lighter and more fresh than a lipstick.
Jilly, I'm just not going to use glosses. Really. *grins* I always think "Pork chops" and using a moisturizer over the powder means crumbs. The Lipfinity is great. It takes a couple seconds to dry, but comes with a really nice moisturizer to use after applying it that you can use all day. It doesn't really make your lips glossy, but does add a touch of shine.
I think you're right about the boy, about 5 years later we did date briefly. I never brought up the pork chop thing.
HI,
I prefer lipsticks, but when it is very cold I will use the lipglosses. I like the lip stains too but don't use them as much. I will use all kinds of brands but my favorite is Revlon.
Judy K. Chicago.
Shala, i have to keep giggling about the pork chops. It's just so bizarre. smile I am glad that the guy was actually flirting (he wasn't that good at it, but at least he was trying), lol.

I wonder what he would think if you told him you still thought about that comment, after all this time? It's funny, the things we remember. Sometimes a friend will bring up some piece of 'wisdom'i said that they still think about all the time, and i don't even remember saying it.
Hi Judy! Wearing glosses and balms on cold days is a great idea. It really helps protect your lip skin from drying out. smile

I think in early times people used to rub animal fat on their faces and lips to protect against going out in fierce cold.
Lip balm is easy and great for me, but I'll use a lip stain once in a while for more color. I often end up putting a little lip balm over the lip stain.
Lipsticks. Once in a while when I wore makeup (not that i suddenly hated wearing makeup i just stopped) I would use lip gloss for some change. I never tried any lip stains, paints and plumpers. I put on lip balm four times a day but it is Lypsyl original so it is not for color it is to have nice healthy lips.
© BellaOnline Forums