BellaOnline
Posted By: Kim - OnlineServices Makeup Packaging? - 03/02/08 10:02 PM
I just read the contaminated makeup thread.

Many stores have foundation displays where the bottles are just there, with no packaging or seal. Do you buy makeup that isn't in sealed packaging?

Posted By: M o e Re: Makeup Packaging? - 03/03/08 04:21 AM
I only buy the sealed stuff. there's usually a plastic seal on the cap, if it's broken i look for another one.
Posted By: joanj Re: Makeup Packaging? - 03/03/08 01:56 PM
I think it's always good to check the seals on any product we buy!
Posted By: M o e Re: Makeup Packaging? - 03/04/08 06:44 AM
and expiry dates. i notice some stuff has expiry dates now.
Posted By: BrightParis Re: Makeup Packaging? - 03/17/08 04:00 AM
I check both expiry date and the seals on the product.
Posted By: Bonniesa Re: Makeup Packaging? - 03/17/08 05:25 AM
I check out everything before buying.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Makeup Packaging? - 04/11/08 12:09 AM
The chapstick I buy is always in some sort of a sealed container, I don't think I would buy one if it was just sitting there loose where you could unscrew the cap. What if someone else had tried it out?
Posted By: Lady J Re: Makeup Packaging? - 04/11/08 02:10 AM
never buy anything without a seal or box ;0)
Posted By: Jilly Re: Makeup Packaging? - 04/11/08 02:24 AM
You can see, with most products, if they've been used. Look sideways in the light, at the top of a lip balm or lipsticks, across the surface of a blush or eyeshadow, and at the lid of any lotions in a bottle or jar. You are really can tell if something has been even the slightest bit sampled. smile

For some products, with antioxidants in them, you will want to make sure they have actually never been OPENED, with is different than being used. Much of the good stuff that you are paying for degrades quickly upon exposure to air. For things like lotions, the best ones are those in opaque containers that do not let air into the product when opened.

Of course, the best and most safe packaging usually adds extra environmental waste to the planet, so it's a tough call.

My call is that for things going near my eyes and lips - the mucous membranes - to be ultra careful nothing has been *used*.

For things that I pay good money for to be state of the art, as in a moisturizer with peptides, antioxidants and cell-mimicking ingredients, i make sure it's never been *opened.*
Posted By: BrownBeauty Re: Makeup Packaging? - 04/16/08 12:33 AM
The makeup I purchase is always sealed. I can't think of any that aren't sealed. Maybe those were testers on the display . . .
www.ethnic-beauty-central.com
Posted By: Jilly Re: Makeup Packaging? - 04/16/08 01:30 AM
At Sephora, the makeup is just sitting out in their packaging that anyone can open, look at or sniff. So you have to look at the ones you pick up to buy carefully - scrutinize them.

I actually prefer that to having to ask at a counter (ie - department stores) or grabbing a sealed package of who knows what at a drugstore. Sephora has revitalized how one purchases makeup: it's become an experience and not just 'shopping.' smile
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Makeup Packaging? - 04/16/08 09:43 AM
I definitely agree that tester units should be out to play with - but I think they should be labeled as testers so people don't accidentally buy them smile
Posted By: Lady J Re: Makeup Packaging? - 04/16/08 11:59 PM
akk the testers at our spa are clearly marked that way for that exact reason Lisa
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Makeup Packaging? - 04/19/08 05:54 AM
Good job Jase!! You work for a wise spa smile
Posted By: BoomerGal Re: Makeup Packaging? - 04/20/08 02:16 PM
I agree that you should buy sealed products and check expiration dates. I know on food items, it's pretty easy to get something either expired or so close to the expiration date you can't use it all before it goes bad.
Posted By: Nancy Roussy Re: Makeup Packaging? - 04/01/15 10:55 PM
I never have bought anything that is not sealed and if one day I see a seal has been broken I will go back to the store and get a replacement.
Posted By: Wgrace Re: Makeup Packaging? - 12/09/15 04:23 AM
I never bought unsealed beauty products. Whenever I purchase makeup, I check seal properly.
© BellaOnline Forums