BellaOnline
Posted By: Kathleen - Scrapbooking All About Sketches - 11/15/12 05:37 PM
This article is all about sketches. What are they? Why are they beneficial? What's so much fun about them? If you have never tried one, I challenge you to try!

Sketches
Posted By: SandraJ Re: All About Sketches - 12/20/12 11:22 PM
Kathleen

Well, I guess I haven't been paying much attention to things on the Scrapbooking thread. Just read your article about sketches.

I'm not a big fan of sketches. At least I don't follow any of the sketches found in magazines or books (I've never looked online). I don't even draw out my own sketches. I suppose I do it informally in my head. I get an idea of the base color and the complimentary colors of cardstock, then I grab a few pieces of patterned papers and figure out a format. I like to do 2-page spreads so that when I open the scrapbook at any point, the two facing pages have the same theme & colors & design.

I've seen sketches in the Creating Keepsakes magazine and to me they seem so complicated and "busy." I like simpler layouts that show off my pictures! I do use embellishments: die cuts, chipboard, stickers, ribbon, brads, eyelets, etc. so the pages aren't just paper on paper. I like to make my own background papers sometimes with rubber stamps (the vintage look).

I wonder what other people do?? wink
Posted By: Kathleen - Scrapbooking Re: All About Sketches - 12/26/12 07:01 PM
I use sketches quite often. If I read a magazine and see something I like, I often will make a sketch and add the color combos that they use. (Maybe those are my two toughest areas - layout and color.) I also use the books that Close To My Heart has with sketches and cutting diagrams.

I really find that these speed up what I am working on. I get stuck with layout/design and color and I can spend an hour working on that. I'd rather get projects completed! I often feel like I am always scrapbooking, but my time is short. (If only you saw all the projects I want to do from my Pinterest boards! LOL)

Some sketches are more complicated than others. I love the CTMH ones, because they just do the basics, but then you add whatever you want to them! (And, they show a sample or two also.)

Glad to hear from you! Kath*
Posted By: SandraJ Re: All About Sketches - 12/28/12 11:07 PM
Hey, Kathleen!

I think we are having our own private conversation here! I wish some other scrapbooking people would join in with their thoughts.

Years ago, before I became a demonstrator for Stampin' Up!, CTMH published some books with lots & lots of card making samples. I think I bought a couple of those. I thought I would go back to them as resources, ideas and templates. Well, it hasn't happened. I have tons of card making and scrapbooking books but I never seem to go to them for ideas.

Sometimes I get stuck in a rut with colors. Stampin' Up! has a "color coach" that shows different combinations of our cardstock colors. Sometimes it helps me to break out from my usual color choices.
© BellaOnline Forums