BellaOnline
Posted By: mamak Making a button loop - 05/14/07 11:49 PM
I am making a dress which requires a button loop to be made of thread. I don't know how to do this, but I remember something like that being used on my wedding dress. Can anyone tell me what I need to do? I have a sewing machine, but not a surger. Thanks a bunch!
Posted By: cela Re: Making a button loop - 05/18/07 01:40 AM
Boy, this could be hard to describe. Do you know how to make an embroidery stitch called a chain stitch? That stitch is basically what you would use. You do this by hand. You'll start at one point on the seam that will hold the loops. At that point, on the wrong side of your garment, push the threaded needle through to the top side--very close to the edge of the seam. Then push the needle from the front to the back at a point right next to where you came through the first time. Leave a little loop of thread, and point your needle through the loop (under and over). Pull the needle through, and hold the base of the extended thread against the loop you just made. Point the needle back through the loop and pull the thread until another tiny loop forms. Coming up from the "wrong" side, put your needle through the newest loop and repeat the process until you have a stand of loops long enough to accomodate your button. Then push your needle into the garment seam at whatever distance you need from the starting point--the distance being governed by the size of your button.

Essentially, you're making a series of connected, tiny loops. I would suggest using a couple of stands of embroidery floss. It is strong, has a nice sheen, and comes in any color you could want. Embroidery floss will look a little more professional than plain thread.

It sure would work better for me to draw you a picture! Vogue used to print a book on sewing that had answers to questions like yours. I love that book. Maybe they have a website with pictures. Good luck.
Posted By: mamak Re: Making a button loop - 05/29/07 09:39 PM
Thank you so much for your response. Your directions sound good...my ability to perform may not be. I had attempted to just use a hook and eye, which continuously came undone during church! I am going to attempt your directions. Thanks again!
© BellaOnline Forums