BellaOnline
Posted By: vsvihla Traveling with a sewing machine - 03/07/06 12:32 AM
Has anyone out there taken a sewing machine on a plane? I am relocating for a few months and can't imagine not taking my machine. I have a wheeled cart, but I fear it is a bit large for a carry-on. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
-Vanessa
Vanessa,
You might want to contact the airline on which you will travel as each airline has specifications, exceptions and packing instructions for what are called, "Specialty Items."
Examples of these include duffel bags used by military personnel, certain musical instruments, camping and ski equipment, bowling balls, fishing gear, and golf clubs to name a few. A possible alternative to bringing it with you on the plane as checked baggage [providing it is allowed] is to box and pack it well and mail it to yourself. The postage might be a little steep however, considering some machines are very heavy. Your question is very interesting though and I bet has been encountered before.
Posted By: junerose Re: Traveling with a sewing machine - 03/16/06 07:30 PM
Would it be not be easier to pack it well and mail it to your destination? I realise you may be without it for a short time, but may be worth thinking about.

In the UK we have certain shipping agents who ship heavy items for a flat fee.
© BellaOnline Forums